No announcement yet.

Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guardian reporting Japan has proposed Olympics postponed until 2021.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...virus-pandemic

Comment

Obviously the right decision although could have been taken earlier.

I read that neither Japan nor the IOC wanted to blink first over concerns about being in the firing line for law suits over cancelled contracts etc.

Comment

• Laps
        Laps commented
        Editing a comment
        There is a BBC item explaining some of the complexities of the decision -
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/52007137

Would you rather sporting bodies made decisions on a wing and a prayer?
        Without proper consultation? Perhaps leaving a situation where litigation is in the air? The decision was simple. Understanding all the consequences and heading off bad ones is what would have taken time.
        Last edited by Laps; 24-03-20, 17:39.

Only 2 days ago the IOC set a 4 week deadline to decide whether to postpone. Whether that was just to publicly buy time or they actually thought things would have changed materially in that period, who knows. I suspect at least some were clinging to the latter.

Its phenomenally complicated and there will be far reaching consequences no doubt including complex contractual wrangles.

It’s tough on everyone, but equally it’s been blindingly obvious for a while that the Games have been non starters and the tone of the public statements should have been different.

I hope the world is a safer place in 2021 and that Tokyo 20 can go ahead. But this bloody virus needs to have been properly stamped out and right now I’m really not putting my house on that.

Comment

Contrary to what you say I doubt that there was anyone at the IOC who was doubting the need to postpone when it came to the crunch. It was all about how long (Sept/Oct? or 2021), the consequences, and getting on the same page with the important players.They probably thought a decision might take a week or two of wrangling but gave a more generous period in case they ran into difficulties. That's how beaurocracies work.
        Last edited by Laps; 25-03-20, 14:04.

Comment

now the almost inevitable of postponing the 2020 Games has come to pass, i see on Track and Field Forum no confirmation as yetof cancellation of of the famous OG Trials in Oregon despite the fact that everybody in authority was insisting on the postponement of this years OG. Very surprising that the USTF and USOC have not done so and there are posters still talking about Eugene DL. All seems a bit far fetched; eventually surely they will have to do what we will see in most European countries with National Champs postponed or cancelled. Mind you if you want to read some unbelievable stuff about semi ignoring the COVID-19 troubles as if they were not a problem then Letsrun . com Message Board will make you realise how many nutters there are around.

Comment

And after all this is over the economic impact could affect funding: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/52036792

Comment

European Champs organisers hope that will sill go ahead this year: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/52043444

Comment

• Laps
                Laps commented
                Editing a comment
                It looks like the rearranging of all these events will become a bit of a nightmare with at least a few casualties.

• Occasional Hope
                Occasional Hope commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely, Laps. It sounds as if the 2021 worlds could get deferred to 2022 to avoid clash with Olympics, but then there's the commonwealths in 2022 as well.

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                Not forgetting the Europeans as well.

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
              Even the spam on this forum as been affected.
              Sadly only a temporary respite. Not that there’s much to post about at the moment.

Comment

OG rescheduled for 23/7 to 8/8 next year. Hope the world is a much better place by then and that botched relay changes are our biggest concern.

Comment

In related news the Hungarian parliament has today voted to allow Orban to rule by decree, with an unlimited time frame. The 2023 championships are due to take place in Budapest, which puts World Athletics decision to give them the championships in the spotlight given this, the general erosion of democracy and the silencing of journalists critical of the regime. Another case of sports-washing

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52134253

The BBC will air memorable sporting occasions to replace gaps caused by coronvirus, including Super Saturday.

Comment

With the second wave gathering momentum and a vaccine at least months away is anyone putting any money on the OG taking place next year?

Hope everyone’s safe and well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                        With the second wave gathering momentum and a vaccine at least months away is anyone putting any money on the OG taking place next year?

Hope everyone’s safe and well.
                        I think it could happen but.....effectively it would require athletes to go into a quarantine so prolonged that many of the small. poor countries would not be able to participate. Along the lines of the NBA in Florida, or the International Swimming League currently in Budapest.

Comment

Coronavirus has affected different parts of the world in disparate ways. While we in Europe are dealing with the second wave quite poorly and America making even more of a hash of it than us, Japan to date has only recorded 1700 deaths, looking at the numbers recorded in China and south east Asia in general it’s clear they’re fairly good at dealing with any increases in cases. Would they want tourists to visit as paying spectators if there’s a chance it would increase the number of cases? I think there’s a high likelihood that overseas visitors will be restricted, the volume who want to make the trip will be much lower than at previous Olympics anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X