Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus

Obviously very serious.

Trivial in the overall scheme of things but what will the athletics season look like? Will the OG go ahead?

Anyone's guess of course but it is starting to look grim imho.
    The impression I get is that many countries will adopt the strategy to spread out the peak and to not try the extreme tactics of containment of say China. So it could go on for weeks/months into the Summer.
    Sport will be seen as less and less important.The pressure will build on the IOC as each deadline comes and goes. 50:50.

Comment

I wonder if the Diamond League is disrupted, if it will mess up the new world rankings system for invites to the Olympics, assuming that does go ahead.

Comment

I've been wondering about the Diamond League too. At the very least the two meetings in China in May must be in serious doubt as I doubt the situation in China will improve much before then. Even if they do go ahead, how many athletes will travel all that way and take the risk so soon before the Olympics? I wouldn't sad as it is if China still has so many sufferers at that point.

I can see that Italy has suspended all sporting events so it remains to be seen what happens with Napoli. Although it is in the south and not in the north, with the lockdown there will they be fit to host the diamond League at the end of may?

That's before I get onto the rest of the calendar, with the evolving situation in terms of which countries have more infections, as well as the Olympics themselves!

It is a real mess and at this stage I don't think that we'll get through this year without at least some events effected.

Comment

There’s lots of talk of sporting events being played behind closed doors, which would just about work with premiership football, but i don’t see how it could work with other sports events that are dependent on gate receipts to pay staff and overheads. Pep Guardiola said earlier he would prefer postponement, rather than games being played in empty stadia, which I can understand, the atmosphere at any event would be poor if played in front of empty stands. But if you postpone, when you postpone it to? I can’t see how the situation will be that much better in a months time or in Tokyo’s case with a 3 month delay

Comment

The Olympics is the pinnacle event target for so many athletes who are planning their periodisation to perfection, the closer to the event that its cancelled/postponed is going to effect everyone so much.

Would be better if they announced their decision ASAP.

Not as important, but Masters Athletics events are being cancelled everywhere last minute leaving a lot of people out of money

Comment

Never mind the OLG, what about Greater Manchester Marathon - I've trained for weeks for my meaningless PB attempt 🤣 !?!

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
                Never mind the OLG, what about Greater Manchester Marathon - I've trained for weeks for my meaningless PB attempt 🤣 !?!
                Never mind Larkim, you can do something much more productive with those 7 hours instead. For instance you could put this on repeat....

https://youtu.be/7GqhqmYjMpE

Comment

Japan’s Olympic minister saying it’s inconceivable that the OG will be cancelled or postponed. How bloody daft, and a comment that may not age well.

At least people over here are starting to take it seriously. From Friday I’ll be working from home until further notice.

Comment

• Stew-Coach
                    Stew-Coach commented
                    Editing a comment
                    looks same at my place too, from next week

Next weekend's European Throwing Cup in Portugal has been postponed.

Comment

postponed World Indoors dates confirmed: https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...hampionships-n

Comment

All NCAA Winter & Spring Championships including this weekend's indoor T&F have been cancelled. That means that the NCAA Outdoor T&F Championships (and entire NCAA outdoor season?) is off as well.

Comment

I expect early UK based events will follow such as London marathon and even BUCS surely!

Its the not knowing that is the problem for most Athletes now, keep pushing to your schedule or amend your phases

Comment

London Marathon postponed to October: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/51878234

Comment

It looks as though most western governments are attempting to delay the peak, to minimise the damage done. In which case I can see two scenarios regarding the Olympics, either it will peak in the summer or it will still be progressing at that time. I cannot see how it will have peaked by the end of July, which puts the kibosh on the Olympics. In all honesty it wouldn’t be a great games anyway if spectators at home were surrounded by the spectre of an epidemic. Suspect it would be better to delay by 12 months

Comment

Working...
                            X