Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Sport Review

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...o-uk-athletics

This won’t make pleasant reading for some in a couple of months.

As if the review wasn’t enough it now looks like the BBC are going to cut back their TV deal. Never rains and all that.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...bc-new-tv-deal

Comment

Those bemoaning the BBC production approach need to be very careful what they wish for....

Given the participation levels (beyond parkrun, big city 10ks / marathons, "running" as a fitness pursuit) of the sport, it's always amazed me how much coverage in prime time the BBC has managed to sustain in terms of athletics. Fingers crossed this isn't left smouldering on the pyre caused by the clown and his henchmen in Downing Street causing the BBC to have to cut its cloth very differently.

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
        Those bemoaning the BBC production approach need to be very careful what they wish for....

Given the participation levels (beyond parkrun, big city 10ks / marathons, "running" as a fitness pursuit) of the sport, it's always amazed me how much coverage in prime time the BBC has managed to sustain in terms of athletics. Fingers crossed this isn't left smouldering on the pyre caused by the clown and his henchmen in Downing Street causing the BBC to have to cut its cloth very differently.
        all bow down to the BBC. Are you frigging joking?? BBC has to cut its cloth.. blah blah. Your post is nonsensical. if the BBC avoided paying reidiculous amounts of loot to some undewhelming so called great presenters they might not have some of the difficulties it has, but lets face it why should the taxpayer be dictated too by a bunch of Oxbridge and Russell group overp[aid twerps. By the way when was the Beebs coverage of athletics anything but boring..

Comment

We'll have to agree to differ. Fundamentally.

Comment

The BBC would be no great loss imo. Talking heads that are brain numbingly tedious, ignoring field events, many replays rather than live action, stupid raising of expectations prior to events, rubbish pundits - Colin Jackson, Paula Radcliffe, Denise Lewis. I can do without any of that.

Whilst UK Athletics has made plenty of mistakes and it's approach to coaching/development and the grass roots seems to have been very neglectful, UK Sports intervention looks like it carries a hint of revenge to me. Several years ago UK Athletics started going down the UK Sport demanded small elite team route. Leaving out all the no-hopers. Then seemed to have second thoughts and adopted a middle of the road approach to Championship teams. Around that point Ed Warner left and as a parting shot called for UK Sport (and their ruthless approach to funding) to be scrapped.

It seems to me that Salazar is likely to win his appeal. Flimsy ancient evidence. Whistleblowers with a grievance.
            Sure he tested the boundaries (TUEs etc), and went over them initially, but the evidence is v.shaky.
            I can see UK Sport going in hard on perceived failures over Salazar/Mo only for the carpet to be pulled right from under them by CAS..

Comment

On the Beeb, I'd just say that the grass is always greener on the other side. They're far from perfect, but at least we get elite athletics on FTA TV at a respectable volume throughout the season. If paying for a subscription service floats your boat, feel free to get the Beeb's volume and more from Eurosport, that's your prerogative. You might find the presentation there better or more to your tastes, that's just a personal preference thing. As I've pointed out before, much of what we see on the Beeb in terms of DL coverage etc is the package they are sold by the host broadcaster, and even Eurosport's Diamond League coverage often resorts to the highlights-version of field events. Fans of the sport want to watch the whole thing, from the 9th placed hammer thrower's third failed attempt resulting in a foul to the pointless final TJ by a competitor who won the event comfortably with their first jump and their rivals fouling out on numerous occasions.

But I'd much rather have what we have today than the alternative of zero. I can't imagine it makes economic sense for ITV or Ch4 to allocate prime viewing time and advertising sales space to a sport which will garner relatively few viewers when compared to putting out a reality TV show, game show, naff drama etc.

But that's disappearing down the BBC rabbit hole. I'm not changing my tune, and I doubt others will either. As I said above, let's agree to differ.

I see UKA has a new CEO and now needs to find a new Chair... Good timing in the light of the UK Sport review!!

Comment

Originally posted by Laps View Post
                The BBC would be no great loss imo. Talking heads that are brain numbingly tedious, ignoring field events, many replays rather than live action, stupid raising of expectations prior to events, rubbish pundits - Colin Jackson, Paula Radcliffe, Denise Lewis. I can do without any of that.

Whilst UK Athletics has made plenty of mistakes and it's approach to coaching/development and the grass roots seems to have been very neglectful, UK Sports intervention looks like it carries a hint of revenge to me. Several years ago UK Athletics started going down the UK Sport demanded small elite team route. Leaving out all the no-hopers. Then seemed to have second thoughts and adopted a middle of the road approach to Championship teams. Around that point Ed Warner left and as a parting shot called for UK Sport (and their ruthless approach to funding) to be scrapped.

It seems to me that Salazar is likely to win his appeal. Flimsy ancient evidence. Whistleblowers with a grievance.
                Sure he tested the boundaries (TUEs etc), and went over them initially, but the evidence is v.shaky.
                I can see UK Sport going in hard on perceived failures over Salazar/Mo only for the carpet to be pulled right from under them by CAS..
                we get stuff on the bbc that im not sure others would cover

Comment

I'm certainly not a fan of the BBC's coverage of athletics but it is 100% better than no coverage at all.

Comment

Definitely.

Comment

Working...
                    X