GB Names to watch this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    Who would you rather be or rather what trajectory would you wish for .... Amy Hunt (who no one has mentioned yet hahaha) with all the heaps of hype on her very young shoulders, or Jessie Knight - a heart warming story, who has persevered for season after season, has a teaching job, and frankly no one would have mentioned in any such names-to-watch list but has been, arguably, the surprise of the indoor season so far ... I am looking forward to watching how both perform...

As for Dominic Ogbechie - another undoubted talent - but I agree with CAML, and hope he does not end up not quite reaching world class in the two events he seems to be pursuing... I think I suggested a serious go at TJ might be an idea for him...
    Amy to make the Olympic team for the experience for Paris in 2024 and for Jessie to make the 400h final and break Sally Gunnell's record.

Comment

Hopefully last weekend will give Jessie a bit of much-needed confidence in her own ability.

Credit to Marina Armstrong, too - it’s very possible she will be coach to both our top male (Chris/Jacob) and female (Jessie) 400Her this year, having taken the males from youth/junior up the ranks and Jessie from stagnation-fuelled early retirement to world class in two years. Looking forward to some good races between Chris and Jacob

Comment

Continuing my listing of athletes to look out for from these shores...

U20s

Kelechi Aguocha, High Jump, 19

A name that's new to some but I remember watching him jumping on the Vinco stream of the Bedford U20/U23 Championship, the same contest where Dominic Ogbechie would end up suffering the injury that ended his season. Kelechi managed a best of 2.06m then in finishing 2nd. Seven months later and now coached by Fuzz Caan, he's added 12 centimeters to his PB and his 2.22m leap puts him 2nd in Europe in the U-20 age group. And it wasn't a one off either as his two competitions since then Aguocha's managed to go well clear of the 2.10m mark as well.

That makes it three UK U20 men with jumps of 2.15m or better this indoor season, him, Ogbechie (2.17m) and Sam Brereton (2.16m), last years UK U20 champion. Some very encouraging signs from our young high jumpers.

This next one is almost too obvious....

Max Burgin, 800m, 17 (Doesn't turn 18 until May)

If this guy has recovered sufficently from the leg injury that prevented him competing at the Euro U20s, then it will be hugely intriguing how he'll do against the best of Kenya at the World U20s in Nairobi this summer. His no-nonsense, front running style will be finally put up to a true test after he lay waste to Europe's best teenagers in 2018, and would have done even more damage in Boras bar that injury.
        Could we see a sub 1:45 from Burgin this year?

Ben Pattison, 800m, 18 (Doesn't turn 19 until December)

Finished with the silver medal in that unprecidented, 1-2-3 finish from Great Britain in Boras last year, behind Oliver Dustin and ahead of Finley Mclear. Dustin and Mclear have now moved into the U-23 ranks, but Pattison will be eligible for another year and a half and will be certainly a factor come the World U20s in July. Though not as ridiculously gifted as Burgin, Pattison is a talented runner in his own right, having moved up from the 400m and shown that he had great speed endurance over twice the distance, moving up to 8th on the UK U20 all time list over 800m in the same incredible race where Burgin shattered the European U18 and British U-20 records.

Comment

Agree with all those who have been mentioned in this thread. I'd like to add Yasmin Liverpool in the 400m. She has not started her 2020, yet, but made some great progress in 2019.

Comment

• Stew-Coach
            Stew-Coach commented
            Editing a comment
            Yas's first race will be the Outdoor BUCS 400m

Suffered a small injury that set her back over chistmas, but fully back in training now and working hard

Oliver Dustin would be my pick of the non-Burgin 800 boys. I saw him in Watford last summer and his sprint let everyone around me pretty shocked. George Mills too.

Comment

Was lucky enough to be at BUCS Friday and Saturday, Charlie Dobson's 6.64 was ridiculous - after the first 30 he was on a different level to everyone else. I reckon 20.2-20.3 for the 200m on the cards, and a step up to senior level from an exceptional 2018

Comment

Daniel Falode looks like a good talent in the men’s TJ, 2 PBs this year and has achieved the qualifying mark for the world u20s with 15.90. 17 years old

Comment

He is certainly a talent and a nice guy to boot. Little on the short side against some of his contemporaries but plenty of bounce and making quick progress

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                  He is certainly a talent and a nice guy to boot. Little on the short side against some of his contemporaries but plenty of bounce and making quick progress
                  A lack of height never stopped Stefan Holm from jumping 2.37m, nor winning Olympic gold, numerous World indoor titles and European Indoor championships.... jus' sayin'.
                  Last edited by RunUnlimited; 23-02-20, 23:37.

Comment

There are always exceptions - and hopefully he’s one. Certainly, he’s doing fine at the moment

Comment

What happened to the young Welsh 110 Hurdler David Omoregie(?) Last full year of competition 2017 and running 13.24 (2016) as an under23
                      Last edited by Sprintfan; 24-02-20, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintfan View Post
                        What happened to the young Welsh 110 Hurdler David Omoregie(?) Last full year of competition 2017 and running 13.24 (2016) as an under23
                        Simple answer - injuries. LOTS of injuries, since the end of 2017 and basicallly ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

A lack of height never stopped Stefan Holm from jumping 2.37m, nor winning Olympic gold, numerous World indoor titles and European Indoor championships.... jus' sayin'.
                          Holm actually jumped 2.40 indoors. Which was 59 cm (nearly 2 feet) above his own height.

Comment

Originally posted by trickstat View Post

Holm actually jumped 2.40 indoors. Which was 59 cm (nearly 2 feet) above his own height.
                            Ah yeah, I forgot about that. Dude was a beast.

Also Barshim isn't exactly a giant of a high jumper himself, certainly a lot shorter than the likes of Bonderenko, but he has those mad hops.

Comment

Working...
                            X