2020 Indoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Indoors

Big indoor season with the World Indoor Championships in Nanjing from March 13th - 15th.
    The entry standards are here.

The first leg of the World Indoor Tour is in Boston on 25th January.

The other night Mary Cain completed her first track race in 3 and a half years, running a mixed 3000 in 9:25.50. A few weeks ago she'd run 21:43 in a 4 mile road race.

Next up she's due to race "the pros" - Lipari, Pagano, Osika, Eccleston, Ngarambe etc - in the 3000 at the Dr Sander Invitational in NY on 25th January. Also in that race will be the USA's current Next Big Thing, Katelyn Tuohy.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 26-01-20, 18:12.

Hopefully Mary C can now achieve some of her potential

Comment

A couple of decent meetings happening today apart from the NBIGP in Boston.

In Nantes (startlists) - usually there's highlights shown on RMC Sport but not this year. A few Brits competing there including Naomi Ogebta.

In New York, the Dr Sander Invitational has some good fields. I'm pretty sure Sarah McDonald will be running in Boston though and not in NY.

Unfortunately that meeting is behind a paywall but I'll have something for you tomorrow. So, if you want to see those races, don't check the results before.

Comment

As promised, the races from NY yesterday are at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pi3dhkwmg...xggOzF1Ba?dl=0

I've ordered them by when they took place because knowing these commentators there's bound to be 1 or 2 spoilers (I haven't watched them yet myself).

Note - I'm only going to leave them up for a week.
        Last edited by LuckySpikes; 26-01-20, 16:03.

Comment

This will be of use as the indoor season develops - Entry standards for Nanjing. I'll edit it into the first post too.

Speaking of which ... probably a new name to most - Julie-Anne Staehli (CAN) ran 8:47.97 in the 3000 at the BU Terrier Classic in Boston on Friday night (32s last lap). She was solo for the last 1800. That's a qualifying standard for Nanjing (8:49.00).

Staying on the Women's 3000, a big PB too for the winner in NY. I won't say who or how fast in case you want to watch it, but it was definitely a big surprise to me. What a strong finish as well! Also pleased to see the 3rd placer running well after not such a good year last year. A slight progression for one of the 2 current/former high school stars (Tuohy & Cain) whilst the other took a big step backwards.

Be aware watching those races that the on-screen clock starts 2-3 seconds before the gun and stops 2-3 seconds before the finish line.
          Last edited by LuckySpikes; 26-01-20, 18:42.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
            This will be of use as the indoor season develops - Entry standards for Nanjing. .

I find it very interesting that the 60m GB standard requirement for this champs is slower than the European champs last year. Maybe they have reevaluated after last years fiasco in team selection.

Comment

I didn't think to check whether any of the UKA standards are harder than the WA standards. But, I've just checked now and they're all the same.

Questions being asked about whether China will still host these championships given the current Coronavirus situation. Even if the virus has cleared up by then will athletes feel confident enough to go there? But, it's rather late to be changing the venue - will another nation have enough time to prepare to host the event? I'd think WA would need to decide within the next week or so?

Comment

The FO is saying emergency travel only to China. So even if they go ahead, British athletes might not be encouraged to go. I don't know that there's enough time left for the virus to run its course and everyone feel comfortable with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                  The FO is saying emergency travel only to China. So even if they go ahead, British athletes might not be encouraged to go. I don't know that there's enough time left for the virus to run its course and everyone feel comfortable with it.
                  i do not think there will be that much of a surprise if the world indoors is cancelled. i think there will be considerable nervousness about the jouney back from nanjing not the journey there. just under 6 weeks to go before the start; does not seem much time.

Comment

Nanjing is just down river from Wuhan, in the next door province. I would guess it would be the most likely city for it to spread to.

Comment

British Airways have just announced that they are suspending all flights to China.

Comment

The Asian Indoor Championships have been cancelled - they were due to take place in 2 weeks' time in Hangzhou, China.

Also, the Hong Kong Marathon on 9th Feb is off.

Comment

Nanjing World Athletics Indoor Championships postponed to 2021 - https://www.athleticsweekly.com/athl...21-1039927726/

Comment

• jjimbojames
                            jjimbojames commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Probably for the best and nice that the LOCOG’s hard work hasn’t gone to waste...but fitting in a Europeans and a Worlds into essentially a 2.5 month season will be tough. Perhaps the Europeans will have lower standards and accept the hit?

Unsurprising given that China has far bigger concerns right now than hosting a sporting event that is far from being the biggest event in global athletics this year.

What I'm wondering is the knock on effect the decision will have on the European Indoors next year - presumably they won't be held at the same time but would European athletes really want to peak twice in the condensed indoor season? Especially given the World Championships later in the year?

Comment

• trickstat
                            trickstat commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Especially when the World Indoors are in China and the Outdoors in Eugene.

Interesting knock-on questions - The Euro indoors have a date already, 5-7 March 2021. Either they clash and are seen as a very poor competitor, are very close in date and ditto, are cancelled, or they permanently amend the schedules by a year - none seems very fair on Torun.

Comment

• Ladyloz
                            Ladyloz commented
                            Editing a comment
                            European Athletics have confirmed there will be at least a 2 week gap between the two Championships
                        Working...
                        X