No announcement yet.

2020 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think they also need to be able to replicate those times in a true run race - it’s great to see some competition and athletes utilising their training, but these are time trials, with lots set up (see Marc Scott - he had to run hard for 3k and then keep going to ensure it would count as a race) but the quality of the top athletes is that they can run these times with surges, lulls, hard laps etc...and still run sub-60 last laps. That’s the challenge. Knowing they have done it before will certainly help, though.

These times may also not be ratified, as the athletes are all from BTC. I think the rules say “open to more than one club” so possibly should have just invited others along to tick that box.

Comment

• Your Japanese correspondent reporting ...

In Abashiri today Nozomi Tanaka's bid for a second NR in a week didn't come off. Without pacemakers in the 5000 she front-ran it all the way but the pace lagged too much in the middle. She won in 15:02.62, nine seconds outside Fukushi's NR.

However, the story of the race has to be 19yo Kaede Hagitani running 15:05.78 (she's 20 in October). It's very rare to see such a fast teenager outside of the Kenyans & Ethiopians. Yesterday in the Live Streaming thread I was correct to call her the new Japanese "sensation" after an 8:48.12 3000 last week which seemed to be missed by Brett Larner on JRN.

Rosemary Wanjiru won the 10,000 in 30:38.18 WL. In 2nd the 2020 Nagoya Marathon winner Mao Ichiyama ran an 11s PB, 31:23.30, putting her 14th on the A-T Japanese list.

Benard Kibet won the 5000 'A' race in 13:11.77 and Jonathan Ndiku the 10,000 'A' race in 27:23.46.

Comment

• At the Savona meeting Larissa Iapichino jumped 6.80 (+0.7), 2 days before her 18th birthday. Her other 5 jumps were valid but her second best was 6.56. That 6.80 puts her 10th on the all-time European U20 list, one place behind her Mum who jumped 6.82 aged 18 years & 8 months!

Andy Pozzi won in 13.30 (+1.6).

And in Ljubljana tonight, Maruša Mišmaš (SLO) soloed the 2nd fastest time ever in the 2000m Steeple, 5:56.28. It was a 2 woman race so I'm not sure it will stand officially.

For context, Gesa Felicitas Krause ran the 5:52.80 World Best in Berlin last year with Winfred Yavi running 5:56.83 in that race.
        Last edited by LuckySpikes; 16-07-20, 20:40.

Comment

• Four British throwers due to compete abroad tomorrow!

Under normal circumstances this wouldn't be comment-worthy but ...

Lawrence Okoye, Scott Lincoln, Jade Lally (didn't she retire last year??) and Kirstie Law are all entered in a meeting in Osterode am Harz, Germany.

Comment

• No, she had a baby last year and a few days ago set a post baby PB of 56.10.....

......more excitingly at that same meet Lincoln set a new PB of 20.41.

Comment

• Today, in Chitose, Japan, the last round of the Hokuren Distance Challenge took place, producing some good close racing.

It almost produced what would have been a (big) surprise Japanese NR in the Men's Steeple - Ryuji Miura outkicked Philemon Ruto to take a whopping 20s off his PB clocking 8:19.37, just 0.44s off the NR. With a 2:39 final kilometre it looked like there was more in the tank too.

In the women's 3000m 'A' race, the early pace was pedestrian (6:08 at 2000) but new NR-holder Nozomi Tanaka showed her wheels by closing the last 800 in 2:07.5.

Just 3 days after a PB in the 10,000 Mao Ichiyama was at it again, out-sprinting 17yo Cynthia Baire (KEN) to win the 5000m 'A' race in 15:06.66, a PB by 17s. That takes her to #7 on the Japanese all-time list. Four of the top 8 on that list set their marks in the last 10 months.

Comment

• MBChristie
                MBChristie commented
                Editing a comment
                Enjoyed watched those races, but why it the pacemaker drop out? I know he was probably under orders to drop out, but with 200m to go he looked fresh, and doing a great job of encouraging and pacing the leading Japanese runner (Kengo Suzukui) to a sub 28 minute 10000m.

• LuckySpikes
                LuckySpikes commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, don't know.

I later learned that the 8:19 winner of the Steeple, Ryuji Miura, is only 18yo. Perhaps a medal contender if the World U20s take place next year? Although at altitude in Nairobi who knows how he might fare.

• Femke Bol ran 53.97 in the 400H yesterday! This time it will count as a Dutch NR since there were several athletes in the race.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
                LuckySpikes commented
                Editing a comment
                Correction ... I misread the time! It was 53.79.

• 58.76 for Lally and an encouraging 63.02 for Okoye. Haven’t seen Lincoln’s result yet.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
                LuckySpikes commented
                Editing a comment
                Not a good day for Scott Lincoln - 6 fouls!! David Storl won with 20.63.

• Not good from Lincoln, but slightly more impressive from Crouser.....he’s thrown a massive 22.91 adding 1cm to his PB from that monumental competition in Doha. Now joint 3rd on the all time list with Alessandro and Kovacs with Walsh just 1cm further back. Would be great if one of them could remove Barnes from the record books.

Comment

• Wayde van Niekerk is due to make his European comeback in both the 100 & 400 at the Triveneto Meeting in Trieste (ITA) on 1st August.

Laura Muir & Jemma Reekie are entered in the 800.

The meeting will be streamed live.

Comment

• Gateshead definitely cancelled now.

Comment

• When do they expect local athletic tracks to open as the track in Gateshead is still closed bearing in mind the British Champs are to be held in early Sept

Comment

• LuckySpikes
                      LuckySpikes commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Some are open and some aren't. I guess it all comes down to local decisions and preparedness.

• Some good running at the Bern meeting this evening, including 2 national records ...

W 800:
                    1 Ciara Mageean 1:59.69 NR - the first Irish woman sub-2, taking down Rose-Anne Galligan's 2:00.58 record
                    2 Hedda Hynne (NOR) 2:00.72
                    3 Renelle Lamote (FRA) 2:01.50 - I nearly didn't recognise her with long hair!
                    4 Selina Buchel (SUI) 2:01.79

M 110H:
                    1 Jason Joseph (SUI) 13.34 (-1.0) NR - taking 0.05 off his own NR

W 400:
                    1 Femke Bol (NED) 51.13 PB
                    2 Lieke Klaver (NED) 51.39

What with the de Witte sisters as well, suddenly the Dutch could have a 4x4 squad to rival the Poles for European supremacy. But Laura de Witte would be the weak link so they really need Dafne to get training for it!
                    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 24-07-20, 22:14.

Comment

• Okoye has followed up his 63.02 opener with further comps at 64.22 and 65.15.

Oh God, I’m starting to get excited again. What sort of shape might he be in by Tokyo (if it happens)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                        Okoye has followed up his 63.02 opener with further comps at 64.22 and 65.15.

Oh God, I’m starting to get excited again. What sort of shape might he be in by Tokyo (if it happens)?
                        Look I know it was Okoye's decision to follow the American Football route to make some cash and I fully respect his decision for that.

But.....

Can you *imagine* where he'd be right now if he'd stuck with athletics post-2012 Olympics?!?

Dude is throwing in the 64-65 metre range after barely a few months back fully training in the discus.... Hell, had the whole Coronavirus not come along and disrupted everything this year, I wonder how fair he'd be flinging the discus by this time of the season, with the Tokyo Olympics looming.

Comment

Working...
                        X