No announcement yet.

2020 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian athletics meetings are starting up again this weekend and most of their "traditional" international meetings have been rescheduled rather than cancelled, starting with Savona on 16th July.

Comment

Very sad news that EA President Svein Arne Hansen has died. He didn't recover from the stroke he had in March.

He was also the meeting director of the Bislett Games for 24 years.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
        Very sad news that EA President Svein Arne Hansen has died. He didn't recover from the stroke he had in March.

He was also the meeting director of the Bislett Games for 24 years.
        Sad news, indeed - he was one of the good guys of athletics, from what I saw

Comment

• LuckySpikes
          LuckySpikes commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, he seemed a good egg to me too.

Shame he didn't get to see Warholm winning Olympic gold or (?) Jakob winning an Olympic medal.

Japan is readying itself to put athletics meetings on again. Set to go ahead is the Hokuren Distance Challenge, a series of 4 meetings from July 4th to the 18th. They are usually high-quality meetings and were live streamed by JAAF last year.

Comment

Afraid the Novak Djokovic news means we won’t be getting any meaningful events anytime soon.

Comment

Frustrating if that is the case, when I'm not sure it was the sport that caused the infections - look at the media photos of them p close and personal in nightclubs. Highly irresponsible and it serves them all right.

Comment

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/athl...Stm7-hvmOcpg3Q

Comment

• LuckySpikes
                LuckySpikes commented
                Editing a comment
                A throwback to the 60s and 70s when World One-Hour Record attempts were quite commonplace!

They'll need to run a shade under 59:30 half marathon pace to beat Geb's record.

The women's record equates 'only' to 68:23 half marathon pace so should be well within both Yeshaneh and Birhane Dibaba's compass.

In Maribor today, Kristjan Ceh smashed his new Slovenian NR in the Discus by 2.46m throwing 68.75. Two of his other throws also beat his previous record. It's also the furthest ever thrown by a U23 athlete.
              Next week he'll face Weisshaidinger twice in Austrian meetings, one (or both?) of which might be live streamed.

Comment

Fast 600m yesterday for Barbora Malíková (CZE), the 2017 World U18 400m champion and 2018 European U18 champ (she won that World title aged just 15).

She ran 1.26.79 which would suggest her 800m PB of 2:03.51 (in 2018) might be in for some serious revision.

Comment

New York & Berlin Marathons both off. 😣

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/53169797

Comment

70.25 for the class act that is Stahl in the discus.

On the domestic spear front a 71.67 PB for Daniel Bainbridge who’s only just turned 21.

Comment

e-mail to ticket holders to say British Championships now Friday 4th and Saturday 5th September behind closed doors
                      Story on British Athletics website at:
                      https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/...5th-september/

Note Gateshead DL behind closed doors IF held.

Comment

Good that there’s going to be a sort of British champs with TV coverage. Though it’s beyond me why Coates thought it appropriate to have a pop at other sports from the gender perspective in the same announcement.

Not disagreeing with her viewpoint but there seems to be a blurring of her professional role and her personal views. Best kept separate.

Comment

Some fast times for the Bowerman Track Club yesterday ...

W 5000 - Elise Cranny 14:48 (!!), Courtney Frerichs 14:50
                          M 5000 - four in the 13:11 to 13:15 range, led by Sean McGorty
                          W 1500 - Shelby Houlihan 4:02.37, Karissa Schweizer 4:02.81

Full results at https://www.letsrun.com/news/2020/07...t-in-portland/
                          Last edited by LuckySpikes; 01-07-20, 11:42.

Comment

Been watching bits of the Slovenian Athletics League in Ljubljana this evening.

Neja Filipič improved by 10cm the Triple Jump NR she set last week, taking it up to 14.32.
                            EDIT : Scratch that. +2.2 wind. It wasn't apparent from the broadcast and she was celebrating a lot!

It seems to me that for a country of just 2.1 million people Slovenia currently has quite an impressive number of international-class athletes good enough to make Euro Championships or above. I've counted 14 (10 of them women) and they're spread well across the disciplines - sprints, hurdles, mid-distance, vertical jumps, horizontal jumps & throws. What they're missing is a long-distance runner but maybe young Klara Lukan is the one to fill that hole. She set another U20NR in the 5000 tonight.

At this meeting the COVID-19 protocol for medal ceremonies was for the athlete to pick up their medal off the tray and hang it around their neck themself!

In Shibetsu (JPN), World U20 champ & Doha 5000 finalist, Nozomi Tanaka took almost 3s off her 1500m PB, running 4:08.68. She ran a great race, refusing to give an inch to Hellen Ekarare Lobun over a tightly-fought last lap.
                            With that result she goes to #2 on the Japanese all-time list. Yes, only 3 Japanese women have ever run sub-4:10! I guess that most of their talent goes straight to the longer distances without ever developing their speed.
                            Anyway, Tanaka looks in fine fettle for what I'm presuming will be an attempt this Wednesday on Kayoko Fukushi's 3000m NR of 8:44.40. In Tuesday's Live Streaming Links post I'll tell you about the disaster that befell Tanaka last year when she tried to break that same record!

In Rieti, Andy Pozzi ran 13.44 and 13.48. In Florida, Matt Hudson-Smith beat LaShawn Merritt to win in 45.55.
                            Last edited by LuckySpikes; 05-07-20, 09:39.

Comment

• carterhatch
                              carterhatch commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Great to hear that MHS is running.. a merucrial talent that I suspect will never fully realize his potential, but I truly wish him well.

• drobbie
                              drobbie commented
                              Editing a comment
                              its good to have some athletics again
                          Working...
                          X