2020 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    meanwhile... I thought someone like Ursus would have noted this... Taylor Campbell throws a PB of 74.98 m in first comp of the year
    Haha. Someone like Ursus has been asleep at the wheel, but that’s a fabulous start to the season for Taylor. Must be slightly frustrated that he couldn’t find another 2cm, but the big throws will come.
    Last edited by Ursus; 09-03-20, 23:14.

Comment

5 years since he left the junior ranks, Taylor is getting there, slowly. I wonder what Jake Norris will throw this year.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/51881675

Interesting if she does go to Tokyo, though she would need to improve her best significantly.

Comment

World Athletics has started a new series of features, 20 under 20 to watch in 2020 ... I'm wondering if we'll get the chance to.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
            World Athletics has started a new series of features, 20 under 20 to watch in 2020 ... I'm wondering if we'll get the chance to.
            if i was still a betting man i would put odds on the major track events not taking place and the OG are beginning to look a non starter

Comment

British champs rescheduled but British Athletics expecting all of its major events to go ahead this year. Really?

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/52191081

Comment

Ursus

That is not what the British Athletics statement actually says.

Their words are - "At this moment in time, we are still working on the basis that all British Athletics events – Müller British Athletics Championships Manchester, Müller Anniversary Games London & Müller Grand Prix Gateshead – will be going ahead although we will continue to adhere to all government advice and guidelines to ensure the safety of those involved."

"In coordination with the World Athletics Global Calendar Unit, we have now finalised discussions for a new National Championships weekend alongside other federations. As a result, should there be an opportunity to recommence competition during this outdoor season, the Muller British Athletics Championships will be rescheduled from its original date of 20/21st June to 8/9th August 2020, with the venue remaining as the Manchester Regional Arena."

But you wouldn't expect the BBC or the media generally, to report anything accurately. Would you?
                In the current situation there are two choices. Keep working in the hope that some sport will take place this year OR abandon 2020 completely.
                It's reasonable to expect sporting bodies to follow the first option for as long as they can. Which is clearly what British Athletics are doing, planning and hoping. Nobody is expecting.
                Last edited by Laps; 07-04-20, 12:25.

Comment

New August dates for British Championships

The Müller British Athletics Championships will now be held on August 8-9, provided competition can recommence during this outdoor season.

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/athl...ps-1039929245/

Comment

Fair play Laps, I only read the story not the statement, but either way I can’t see any elite level completion this season.

Comment

UK Athletics will suffer financially if they can't hold the Anniversary Games: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/52219768

But what is interesting is that the problem is over rival use with football, so both sports seem to think sport will be back on by July? Not sure if they're both being optimistic.

Comment

• Laps
                        Laps commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As pointed out above all they can do is plan so that they are ready when sport eventually starts up again. Much of all that preparatory work will go in the bin. The alternative is to not plan or hope and to give up on 2020. No responsible sporting body is going to do that. A soul destroying job in present circumstances. Optimism doesn't enter into it.
                        Last edited by Laps; 09-04-20, 12:17.

European Championships in Paris cancelled
                      https://www.european-athletics.org/n...led/index.html

Comment

• LuckySpikes
                        LuckySpikes commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A bummer, but not a surprise.

Working in a relative senior role within the NHS gives me enough inside knowledge to know that this year ,and the start of next ,will be written off with another 2 expected Covid peak periods being planned for October 2020 and June 2021 by both the NHS and goverment.
                      Lock down may be loosened but public events wont happen any time soon.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
                        LuckySpikes commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The NHS & government is planning FOR 2 more peak periods or are they planning TO HAVE 2 more??

• Laps
                        Laps commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A most unfortunate way of putting it. Presumably a combination of their modelling and action available to them tends to end up with that result?
                        What effect that has on sport will depend on many things, including the public mood towards restrictions here and in other countries. Perhaps the public (most age groups?) will eventually prefer a fatalistic approach to the virus rather than a completely destroyed economy and living without living for years on end? Some sport behind closed doors is continuing in some countries and is quite likely here in a month or two.

• trickstat
                        trickstat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I assume they are expecting 2 further peak periods and they are planning how to deal with them.

Instead of the Bislett Games on 11th June the Oslo organisers are planning the Impossible Games, respecting social distancing and including an attack by Karsten Warholm on the World Best for the 300m Hurdles.
                      Last edited by LuckySpikes; 24-04-20, 13:10.

Comment

In the pole vault garden clash Duplantis and Lavillenie tied for the most vaults in 20 minutes with 36 vaults each. Kendricks in 3rd with 26.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
                          LuckySpikes commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It was 30 minutes.

Lavillenie was dead on his legs at the end. Mondo was much fresher and wanted a tie-breaker.

• Jogger
                          Jogger commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry I meant 30 minutes - it was a typo!

Anniversary Games unsurprisingly cancelled.

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/52632252

Comment

Working...
                        X