No announcement yet.

2020 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may not be the right thread for this - but Farah / I'm a celebrity?

Discuss...

(My view - it might be a robust career move in terms of £££ etc, and I'd be loathe to criticise him for that; there'll come a time when he can't earn the mega bucks because of who he is. But I also can't see how he can fit in a 2-3 week stint of poor diet / sleep / no training and expect to be fit for Tokyo; so is this him retiring?)

Comment

• £££. Not sure it's a great idea.

Comment

• Sir Mo probably thinks that fasting will be no worse than Ramadan - but that remains to be seen. Don't know how much training he'll get in. Apparently world middleweight boxing champion Randolph Turpin trained there in the early 1950s

Comment

• I don't watch the programme, but I don't get the impression they'd be able to bring in the necessary equipment to train during the show (e.g. running apparel, any S&C weights etc) so surely won't be ideal. A bit of a surprise to see someone doing this who at least still retains aspiration of medalling on the global stage, rather than a post-career activity though.

I bet the anti-Mo brigade on "I Am or Was A Runner" have gone ballistic about this, with numerous pointless discussions about UKA funding etc!

Comment

• Oh dear. I don’t suppose he needs the money, but we know he likes it and I can’t see this as anything other than ££££ driven.

I don’t watch it, but I’ve seen enough to know it’s god awful. Pair that with Mo’s tendency to be a car crash on any non athletics programme and you are not looking at something likely to improve his dignity or brand.

He’s also notoriously thin skinned. But having sold out he can’t complain when tabloids start getting snidey and social media lays into him.....which they will.

Doesn’t enhance my view of him.

Comment

• Agree with what’s been said, but in Mo’s defense I would say that when you get to his age you are far more likely to burn out through over-training than not to train enough. A break of four-six weeks might not be a bad thing.

But I think the question is moot. Mo is not the man he was, the event has moved on massively and his attempts in Tokyo are far more likely to end up as one of your typical over-hyped BBC flops than as a victory.

Comment

• I think that's true, Grassmarket.

I don't know that his personality is suited to this kind of show.

Comment

• At today's Cross Country meeting in Terre Haute, Indiana ... Amy-Eloise Neale had a battle on her hands but prevailed by just over a second from Emma Wilson (Huntington University) after Wilson had established a 10-15m lead going into the final straight. Emma Wilson is a new one to me but I was impressed with the way to she took the race to Amy-Eloise and she ran like she really believed. Apparently she's the top distance runner in the NAIA which is the NCAA-equiavalent body for small colleges and universities.

In the Men's race there was a surprise win for steeplechaser Mason Ferlic by 10s over Paul Chelimo who nearly got run down by a group of collegians.

Comment

• Not wanting to start another thread here....

Here’s news about the 2021 Diamond League format. Sounds like some bad ideas have been dropped, but some still remain

https://www.diamondleague.com/news/g...bout-wdl-2021/

Comment

• Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post
                      Not wanting to start another thread here....

Here’s news about the 2021 Diamond League format. Sounds like some bad ideas have been dropped, but some still remain

https://www.diamondleague.com/news/g...bout-wdl-2021/
                      In general it's excellent news that a) they're no longer dropping the 5000, 3000SC, 200 & Discus and b) the 2 hour TV window is also being retained (instead of the planned 90 mins).

It looks like the WA Athletes Commiission headed up by Renaud & Valerie had some sway, perhaps along with Christian Taylor's informal group. Good on them!

The "Final 3" format for all the throws and the norizontal jumps is dreadful though!

Comment

Working...
                      X