No announcement yet.

2020 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, but then why not show all the LM on BBC2? Rather than men on 1 and women and disabled on 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
      Yes, but then why not show all the LM on BBC2? Rather than men on 1 and women and disabled on 2.
      Apparently it was to do with programming and the the earlier Marr programme; I cannot begin to understand what the hell which BBC channels was chosen to show the two races got to do with men and womens races; if the womens race had been Channel 93 and we knew of it thats all that matters; for Christ sake why dont people all grow up.The woke so called liberal lunatics have taken over the asylum; well done social frigging media.!!!
      I suppose in next years OG if a male event in any sport is on a particular Beeb Channel which the fans dont like then the BBC will be accused of unfair bias; the potential for the social media freaks is boundless.
      Last edited by philipo; 05-10-20, 20:38.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
        MysteryBrick commented
        Editing a comment
        Never let someone posting on a social media forum in an aggravated manner moaning about lunatics on social media ever be accused of excessive self-awareness...

• I don't disagree that the optics look bad, but I have to agree with Philipo - there's no difference these days between showing a sporting event live on BBC1 HD or BBC2 HD in terms of priority. There are fixed points in the BBC1 schedule which are (often) treated as largely immovable. The beeb gave a lot of TV time, plus a separate elites only feed, to the marathon, and I'm fairly sure the swaps around between BB1 and BBC2 for marathon coverage are not exactly new. What other sport gets that amount of free to air coverage on the main channels, especially when in reality no British athletes were actually at the forefront of the races.

https://tv24.co.uk/tv/2019-04-28 - Andrew Marr left in at 9am, VLM starts BBC2 swaps to BBC1 at 10am, women's start was 9:25am
      https://tv24.co.uk/tv/2018-04-22 - Marr on BBC2, VLM BBC1 all the time

Comment

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        That seems reasonable, larkim. I was just struck by the impression it gave this year.

• I am all for gender equality but this is pushing it a bit far. I imagine that had it been the men's race that clashed with Marr, that race would have been moved to BBC2 and no one would have even commented on it.

Comment

• I think that, when it comes to a Sunday morning, whether something is on BBC1 or BBC2 is largely academic. I can understand the BBC keeping the one programme remaining from its usual schedule in its usual slot.

Comment

• Wow, great start in Valencia! 14:06.65 for Gidey, 4,5 secs inside the WR!

And 26:11.02 WR for Cheptegui!
          Last edited by Grassmarket; 07-10-20, 21:27.

Comment

• Remarkable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
              Remarkable.
              The magic disco lights are definitely not going away now.

Comment

• Who wouldnt be aggravated by the nonsense here about which channel showed which race on the BBC Channels. As for the optics look bad; strange argument to me when you have a number of interchangeable Channels of BBC; what is the rationale as to which channel is most appropriate for which races.
                But then the stuff one hears and sees in these fashionably crazy days; I quite imagine that the BBC producers better get down on one knee and pray for forgiveness for showing subconscious misogynism at the Beeb.
                I am no fan of the BBC, but lets face it, which place on earth would show 7 hours of live coverage of a Marathon.

Comment

• Stunning WRs by both. Gidey is so fluid, real elegance in her form similar to watching Kipchoge or Rudisha at their best. Cheptegei too, all very powerful and neat and tidy.

My only caveat to these performances is the lighting. As a viewer they are excellent, they help to maintain the connection with the pacing really well. But it is a big benefit to the runner themselves compared to perhaps once heading past your coach with an update per lap, or checking the lap timers every 400m.

I've no doubt that some WRs of past years, or near misses, would have benefitted from a live update on their progress against their plans from the first stride, so in that context whilst their runs are undoubtedly the fastest ever (and I have no other qualms about doping or shoes) they have had a helping hand that wasn't previously available.

Nonetheless, I hadn't expected Bekele to be wiped off the top of the WR lists this year.

With London having now been a potential win / podium for Mo, and now 10000m track moving away from him, I wonder if Mo is regretting moving away from the marathon now!

Comment

• For sure, the lighting is a new technique & some will adapt better than others. Noticed that Cheptegui was wearing a white vest last night which reflected the colour of the lights which surely helped. But it’s like big screens in stadiums - some runners know how use them in (in heats especially) to monitor the opposition.

Comment

• Lighting’s fine. At that level the athletes know the pace they have to run at and they already have data from watches, stadium clocks, big screens and coaches. The visual cue’s definitely helpful, but I doubt it really changes much.

Comment

• I'm not convinced;

Joshua's splits - 2:39, 2:37, 2:37, 2:37 2:38, 2:37, 2:37, 2:37, 2:37, 2:34.
                        Kenenisa's splits - 2:40, 2:36, 2:38, 2:37, 2:39, 2:35, 2:39, 2:41, 2:40, 2:32

No sense that if Bekele had had the lighting he'd have got a little more consistency in his effort and potentially hit a slightly faster time overall? That 2:39/2:35/2:39 blip definitely looks like it hurt the final few km.

Comment

• Fabulous runs by Gidey & Cheptegei no doubt. However, I think the big advantage of following the lights is that it's much less mentally demanding than any other method you might use to track your pace.

Sad to see Kenny B wiped off the WR books. But, he's still the distance GOAT for me and Cheptegei will have to go some to match the range of his achievements.
                          Last edited by LuckySpikes; 08-10-20, 17:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                            Fabulous runs by Gidey & Cheptegei no doubt. However, I think the big advantage of following the lights is that it's much less mentally demanding than any other method you might use to track your pace.
                            The tried and tested “Joos Herrman standing at the trackside and yelling at you every time you go past” method has had its day, I think.

Comment

Working...
                            X