Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jemma Reekie only 4th in Bellinzona.

Comment

• Good pb from Piers Copeland, 3.35.69 finishing 2nd in Bellinzona.

Comment

• Joshua Lay a pb too, 3.36.92, a few places behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
          Jemma Reekie only 4th in Bellinzona.
          who won that race.

Comment

• Originally posted by philipo View Post

who won that race.
          did the south african win 400m

Comment

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
            Jemma Reekie only 4th in Bellinzona.
            Hynne of Norway a newish woman of top quality sets a WL of 1.58.10 with 3 others under 1.59 so says Track and Field Forum. Any body with the full results of the Bellinzona 800m.??. I see WVN won the 400 in 45.58.

A warning to Reekie that things can change quickly in mid distance events, so lots of hard work this winter.

Comment

• Occasional , i meant new on the world stage which at 30 is not that often.

Looking at our bunch of guys in the 800/1500m, not only is it heartening to see so many guys doing PBs this year, and actually winning, but the youth of them makes one wonder which of them will be consistent performers in the next couple of years, and will have the strength over the 3 Rounds at Globals. Quite exciting.!

Comment

• Very impressive run from Rowden in so many ways, 13 is too big a field for an 800, so it was a wise move to put that burst of speed in at the break to get in a good position at 200. He looked easy the whole way round and if anything moved further away from Giles and Wightman in the final 50. PBs galore for our other MD runners, a good night had by all.

Comment

• The Bellinzona meeting was a good 'un as usual! I think it's probably the most under-rated meeting on the circuit and year after year it really wouldn't look out of place in the WACT Gold series.

I said in the Live Streaming Links thread last week that the women's 800 has been good this year, didn't I? And that 800 last night was a cracker! To have 4 women under 1:59 in a race outside major champs & the Diamond League is a very rare occurrence.

1. Hedda Hynne 1:58.10 - taking 1.05s off the NR she ran in Rovereto last week!
                2. Selina Buchel 1:58.37 - her 2nd fastest time ever, just 0.4s off her 2015 PB
                3. Lore Hoffmann (SUI) 1:58.50 - the real star of the race for me! More on her below
                4. Jemma Reekie 1:58.87 - only 0.25s off her best this outdoor season

Yes, about 24yo Lore Hoffmann ... Here's her recent progression:

She began the month of September with a 2:01.67 PB from 2018 and then ...
                3 Sep 2:01.48 PB Marseille
                8 Sep 2:00.51 PB Rovereto
                15 Sep 1:58.50 PB!!

That's TWO whole seconds in a week and three seconds in the last 12 days! Bonkers!

So, in one race the 2020 World Leading marks went from
                1 GBR
                2 GBR
                3 CUB
                to ...
                1 NOR
                2 SUI
                3 SUI

Re Jemma Reekie, I wonder if we've been over-rating her a bit? Yes, she's a fine prospect but, at the moment, she seems more of a grinder than someone who has a change of pace in the last 60 or 80m (Yes, I know it's usually about who's slowing down the least!) Remember Laura Muir was gaining on her in that Trieste race on 1st August and last night she was done for speed in the last 60m. Grinding will get you lots of wins but, at the very top level, it's sometimes about who has that little (apparent) burst in the last 50.

Piers Copeland is coming on nicely, repeating his Lewandowski scalp from Poznan a few days ago and also taking Selemon Barega's last night. Not too far back in 5th was 20yo Josh Lay with a 1.3s PB (3:36.92)
                Last edited by LuckySpikes; 16-09-20, 13:25.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                  Occasional Hope commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, Reekie has a rematch with Hynne and Hoffmann in Rome, plus Laura Muir.

• Christy93
                  Christy93 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The signs of Reekie being tired were there in the past few 1500s. She did a lot of racing in a very show time-frame and has looked a little less good in her last few races imo. She has a very, very good turn of pace imo - Wouldn't read too much in to one tired race.

• Interesting 1500 result from Battersea Park last night. Henry McLuckie, who is still an under 20 next year improved his PB to 3:42.16. His previous best was 3:55.47 at 16 in 2018. The race was won by first year U23 Joe Wigfield in 3:40.85.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                  The Bellinzona meeting was a good 'un as usual! I think it's probably the most under-rated meeting on the circuit and year after year it really wouldn't look out of place in the WACT Gold series.

I said in the Live Streaming Links thread last week that the women's 800 has been good this year, didn't I? And that 800 last night was a cracker! To have 4 women under 1:59 in a race outside major champs & the Diamond League is a very rare occurrence.

1. Hedda Hynne 1:58.10 - taking 1.05s off the NR she ran in Rovereto last week!
                  2. Selina Buchel 1:58.37 - her 2nd fastest time ever, just 0.4s off her 2015 PB
                  3. Lore Hoffmann (SUI) 1:58.50 - the real star of the race for me! More on her below
                  4. Jemma Reekie 1:58.87 - only 0.25s off her best this outdoor season

Yes, about 24yo Lore Hoffmann ... Here's her recent progression:

She began the month of September with a 2:01.67 PB from 2018 and then ...
                  3 Sep 2:01.48 PB Marseille
                  8 Sep 2:00.51 PB Rovereto
                  15 Sep 1:58.50 PB!!

That's TWO whole seconds in a week and three seconds in the last 12 days! Bonkers!

So, in one race the 2020 World Leading marks went from
                  1 GBR
                  2 GBR
                  3 CUB
                  to ...
                  1 NOR
                  2 SUI
                  3 SUI

Re Jemma Reekie, I wonder if we've been over-rating her a bit? Yes, she's a fine prospect but, at the moment, she seems more of a grinder than someone who has a change of pace in the last 60 or 80m (Yes, I know it's usually about who's slowing down the least!) Remember Laura Muir was gaining on her in that Trieste race on 1st August and last night she was done for speed in the last 60m. Grinding will get you lots of wins but, at the very top level, it's sometimes about who has that little (apparent) burst in the last 50.

Piers Copeland is coming on nicely, repeating his Lewandowski scalp from Poznan a few days ago and also taking Selemon Barega's last night. Not too far back in 5th was 20yo Josh Lay with a 1.3s PB (3:36.92)
                  Reekie was no grinder in her indoor season and flew past Laura Muir.earlier this year in Glasgow. I think we forget that she is still young and i look for her to develop further for the next few years till Paris 2024. The truth is she has over run races in the last few weeks at both 800 and 1500m; she will get stronger and faster i think.

Comment

• drobbie
                    drobbie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    shes been incredibly unlucky this year, probably world indoor champ if the event had been held

• Originally posted by philipo View Post

Reekie was no grinder in her indoor season and flew past Laura Muir.earlier this year in Glasgow. I think we forget that she is still young and i look for her to develop further for the next few years till Paris 2024. The truth is she has over run races in the last few weeks at both 800 and 1500m; she will get stronger and faster i think.
                  As for Hoffmans remarkable improvements, beware the outlier performances.!!! By the way the athlete who is a courer de train, as Lequipe, says and who absolutely cannot rely on her last 100m is Laura Muir. Otherwise by now she would have won Global medals.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
                    LuckySpikes commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We'll see if Lore Hoffmann can back it up in Rome tomorrow night. In less than 2 minutes last night she went from being 8th fastest in the Rome field to 2nd fastest!

• Good win for Isabelle Boffey at the WACT Bronze meeting in Kladno (CZE) - 2:01.88 (a 0.2s PB) beating Sara Kuivisto (FIN), 2:02.28.

It's not every day you see a female international-class athlete from Egypt!
                  Bassant Hemida completed a 11.23 (+1.1) & 22.91 (+0.7) double, the 100m mark breaking her own NR by 0.08.

75.24 NR for Alexandra Tavernier in the Hammer.

Comment

• I've been catching up with some of the Swiss Championships from the weekend and I'm going to get in before the Rome race and say Lore Hoffmann's 1:58.5 was no fluke.

It was a slow race she won at the Swiss Championships (2:08.7) but look how much of a lead she had spotted Selina Buchel with about 275m to go - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv523CxzXwU&t=3h49m06s I've timestamped the video to start with around 330m to go - Hoffmann is sitting in 7th in the long white vest.

Hoffman's splits:
                    70.1 for the first lap
                    31.2 for the next 200
                    27.4 for the last 200

Very impressive how cool and calm she was hunting Buchel down.

Comment

• Gabby's script-writers obviously not aware of the Bellinzona 800 - "Laura Muir's challenge will come from Jemma Reekie".

Comment

Working...
                      X