No announcement yet.

2020 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some good times from Antrim. Particularly impressed by Marc Scott.

Comment

• Giles, Wightman and Burgin all in action over 800 in Zagreb http://zagreb-meeting.com/wp-content...compressed.pdf

Aimee Pratt is in a very good field in Berlin today, last weeks run suggests she could move further up the all-time list

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        is that the same Burgin who had an 'injury' last week so couldn't compete at the British Champs?

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, he didn't look particularly good in Zagreb so I'm betting that injury was real and had an ongoing impact.

• Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
      Aimee Pratt is in a very good field in Berlin today, last weeks run suggests she could move further up the all-time list
      Aimee Pratt did well - 4th behind Kiyeng, Chepkoech & Mismas, taking some good scalps like Burkhard, Gregson & Lizzie Bird.

Is it a bit warm there for good distance times? I expected faster for everyone behind Chepkoech.

Infuriating TV coverage though - yes, while a race is going on and there won't be another track event for 20 mins afterwards ... let's cut to a German has-been in the Pole Vault and stare at his face for 20+ seconds before he vaults (and fails). Then 2 mins later lets cut to another German (Zernikel) who barely anyone has heard of, who ends up aborting his attempt anyway!
      Last edited by LuckySpikes; 13-09-20, 16:37.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
        LuckySpikes commented
        Editing a comment
        Jeez, it gets worse ... with Muir, Weightman & Hull on for really fast times in the 1500 they went split-screen for the last 150m with Mihambo waiting to jump, thereby cutting off the on-screen clock. Then as soon as Muir won (not a second later) they went full-screen to Mihambo. I still don't know what the times are and will have to look elsewhere for those! Very poor coverage.

• Grassmarket
        Grassmarket commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, we love to complain about Gabby, but we’d soon be nostalgic if we lived in France, Germany etc.

• Right, Laura Muir 3:57.40 WL. Must admit I got very excited when she hit the bell in 2:55.x and thought she might be on for 3:55-high or 3:56-low.

A little bit gutting for Laura Weightman in 2nd, a 0.08s PB but oh-so-close to breaking 4 ... 4:00.09.
      Oceanian Record for Jessica Hull 4:00.42; Courtney-Bryant 4th in 4:02.34.
      Ciara Mageean's form seems to have totally collapsed since Monaco - last, again outside 4:10.

Comment

• Ian Hodge reported on his twitter 'Serena Vincent a Shot PB of 16.10m today in Portsmouth- becomes the fifth GB u20 over 16m and second on 2020 world rankings in the age group' I spoke about her in the British Champs thread... Looked quite tall, certainly a very different physiology to the likes of Mckinna and Strcikler - someone to watch...

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
          Right, Laura Muir 3:57.40 WL. Must admit I got very excited when she hit the bell in 2:55.x and thought she might be on for 3:55-high or 3:56-low.

A little bit gutting for Laura Weightman in 2nd, a 0.08s PB but oh-so-close to breaking 4 ... 4:00.09.
          Oceanian Record for Jessica Hull 4:00.42; Courtney-Bryant 4th in 4:02.34.
          Ciara Mageean's form seems to have totally collapsed since Monaco - last, again outside 4:10.
          Goodness, this Olympic year was going to be special, especially from a British perspective. The Muir camp, with Muir and Reekie (in particular) in great form, a host of athletes in various events during the winter significant PBs indoors that would translate to top form outdoors, just the general excitement of an Olympic year that would raise competitors levels an extra 10-20%... It was all set for a spectacular Games in Tokyo...

And then Covid came around.... and on top of that, the botched response to Covid from some major sporting nations (no need for me to name names, folks here know who I'm talking about) has meant that this special summer has been lost and because of the lateness, continued stubborness and general incompetence of these nations in dealing with the virus, there are no guarantees that things will be cleared up going into 2021 either.

What a waste.

Comment

• Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
            Ian Hodge reported on his twitter 'Serena Vincent a Shot PB of 16.10m today in Portsmouth- becomes the fifth GB u20 over 16m and second on 2020 world rankings in the age group' I spoke about her in the British Champs thread... Looked quite tall, certainly a very different physiology to the likes of Mckinna and Strcikler - someone to watch...
            I've been keeping tabs on her results since her appearance at the 2018 Euro U18s in Gyor, where she made the final of the shot put and finished in 4th place, aged 16. Since then she's been breaking a slew of national U-17 and U-18 records with both the junior and senior implements, and that progression doesn't seem to have stopped even with the disruption happening this year.

Absolutely one to watch.

Comment

• Further to go, but I was also interested to see that Zara Obamakinwe broke the British U17 record the other day too (discus).

Comment

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                That's quite significant when you consider that, unlike all 3 other throws, the weight of the discus has been the same for several decades. I see she was 5-6m behind Jade Lally and Kirsty Law who didn't throw anything special, suggesting that she didn't have freak wind conditions.

• Henriette Jaeger set an under-18 best of 6301 in the heptathlon, improving on Vicente’s mark by 80 points. Norwegian athletics going through a bit of a renaissance

Comment

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                Further to go, but I was also interested to see that Zara Obamakinwe broke the British U17 record the other day too (discus).
                Not the only notable junior performance in the throws yesterday... In the men's U20 shot put, 18 year old Lewis Byng has according to Ian Hodge's retweeted message on Athletics Weekly (and now confirmed on Byng's Power of Ten list of results), thrown a new British record of 19.71m, eclipsing the previous mark (19.30m) set 11 years ago by one of the biggest "What if" heavy throwers from these shores, Curtis Griffith-Parker.

Comment

• Some good stuff from the youngsters in the heavy throws. If Byng can sort out his technique he could be truly sensational.

Comment

• Hoppel, Tuka, Vazquez, Kramer, Rowden, Wightman, Burgin, Giles. How's that for the 800 in Zagreb tomorrow evening?! All 12 men in the field have sub-1:45 PBs.

Also tomorrow evening, happening around the same time as Zagreb, is the Bellinzona meeting which looks really good. Van Niekerk, Reekie, Barega, Lewandowski, Visser & Bol are amongst the stars competing there. See the Live Streaming Links thread for full startlists and streaming links.
                    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 14-09-20, 19:47.

Comment

• Crowser 22.74 in the Zagreb City Centre shot. Biggest throw on European soil since 1988!

https://worldathletics.org/news/repo...reb-crouser-sh

Comment

• Well, I'd hate to speak too soon, but I think GB may have found our next real middle distance star with Rowden. He has everything he'll need to thrive in a Championship - Tactical awareness, the necessary speed to position himself early, a quick turn of pace, seems very level headed. He left that field for dead.

Giles & Wightman made it a 1-2-3. Max Burgin was well positioned early but finished in a tired looking 1.47.
                        Last edited by Christy93; 15-09-20, 19:35.

Comment

• Rowden looked fab and an excellent time too.

Comment

Working...
                          X