UK Indoor Season 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Indoor Season 2020

With 2020 being an Olympic year it will be interesting to see who among our athletes commit to an indoor programme... and for starters it is good to read that Niamh Emerson may be competing this weekend ( statman jon states this on twitter but cant see her name on the England Athletics Indoor combined events lists)

I hope you all had a good festive season and wish you all a safe and fulfilling new decade...

Happy New Year everyone!

Apparently Laura Muir is targeting the WIR at 1000m in Glasgow on 15 Feb: https://www.european-athletics.org/c...eason/?cid=rss

Comment

Where are you RunUnlimited? I hope all is well - you normally have an interesting post by now... and talking of which Holly Mills is certainly one to watch, a PB in the 60H as part of the combined events ... as you and I discussed before what odds, KJT, Niamh Emerson and Ms. Mills competing together at the 2024 Olympics in the Hep?

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
        Where are you RunUnlimited? I hope all is well - you normally have an interesting post by now... and talking of which Holly Mills is certainly one to watch, a PB in the 60H as part of the combined events ... as you and I discussed before what odds, KJT, Niamh Emerson and Ms. Mills competing together at the 2024 Olympics in the Hep?
        LOL! Well I've only just now come out of "Christmas Mode" and had only been paying a cursory glance or two at athletics news since the end of the Doha World Champs (marathons and cross country, outside of the London Marathon, major championship ones and possibly briefly checking on the results of a World Cross or European Cross champs, aren't really my thing to be honest.)

However I decided to have a look on the AW site for any news and noticed in the Twitter feed about Holly Mills's performance in the pentathlon (as well as Jade O'Dowda's impressive PB in the same multi-event)! I've waxed lyrical about Mills before on here and this performance continues to reinforce my view that she is yet another addition to the production line of heptathlon talents we've seen come through in Great Britain in the last 30 years.

I'd say the odds of KJT, Emerson and Mills being in the Olympics together competing are pretty good, though by 2024 Johnson-Thompson will be 30/31 years old and as we saw with Jessica Ennis-Hill, perhaps she might not be willing to extend her career in the heptathlon into her 30's. There is also the possibility that KJT focuses on either the high jump or the long jump at that point in her life. We'll see.

But what is almost certain is that Niamh Emerson and Holly Mills, barring injury, will be performing internationally for GB for many years.

Comment

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to know it was just 'Christmas mode' and can relate to your post Doha approach ... young O'Dowda was indeed a good performance, though I suspect Ms. Mills might have been hoping for something a bit better (her jumps were modest), though for the first event of the year it is all positive
          Last edited by carterhatch; 06-01-20, 13:11.

Talking of KJT ... seems she competed at the weekend

Miramas, France, January 4
        World heptathlon champion Katarina Johnson-Thompson opened her season with a 1.80m high jump clearance and a shot put throw of 11.66m.

I wonder if she might be considering the World Indoors (13/15 March - ~Nanjing) there's that unfinished business of a World Record...

Comment

World heptathlon champion Katarina Johnson-Thompson opened her season with a 1.80m high jump clearance and a shot put throw of 11.66m.

I wonder if she might be considering the World Indoors (13/15 March - ~Nanjing) there's that unfinished business of a World Record...
          id hope so, it works well for her as shown by previous seasons, i hope most of the bigger athletes will be there although most of them wont be as usual, barring das, none of them really have a good reason not to be there as they only need to peak twice as the euros are about two weeks after the olympics finish and they are unlikely to be challenging for individual medals at the olympics

Comment

That puts KJT at the top of British shot rankings. There's a phrase you never thought you'd hear....

Comment

Good performance from O’Dowda recording 3 PBs along the way, think she was injured last season

Jodie Smith moved up to 8th A-T on the u20 list with her 4041 on Saturday
              Last edited by treadwater1; 07-01-20, 18:11.

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                Good performance from O’Dowda recording 3 PBs along the way, think she was injured last season

Jodie Smith moved up to 8th A-T on the u20 list with her 4041 on Saturday
                Yeah, O'Dowda missed all of the 2019 outdoor season with injury, picked up in March/April. Keep an eye on her... She was at the same 2018 World Junior heptathlon where Niamh Emerson claimed gold and came a commendable 7th (5660 points).

As for Jodie Smith, could this be *another* potential highly skilled multi-eventer coming through? Already a decent high jumper (1.80m from 2019 outdoors) and has almost thrown the 600g javelin over 40m (38.60m), she narrowly missed out on competing at the Euro U-20's and looks pretty talented at just 18 years old.

Comment

I notices lucky spikes has opned a thread for indoors 2020 so to be clear this is UK only And to bump this up, having trawled some early results from weekend events, one performance from a young lad stood out... U17 Jerel Livingston jumped 7.41 in the LJ, if this is correct that's into the all time top ten for U17 ... I had never heard of him before but a very promising effort.

Comment

I notices lucky spikes has opned a thread for indoors 2020 so to be clear this is UK only And to bump this up, having trawled some early results from weekend events, one performance from a young lad stood out... U17 Jerel Livingston jumped 7.41 in the LJ, if this is correct that's into the all time top ten for U17 ... I had never heard of him before but a very promising effort.
                    He ran 7.08 in the 60 on the same day. PB by 0.57s. One to watch, perhaps.

Comment

I believe Lewis Byng is switching to the rotational technique in the shot. Interested to see how that goes. His glide to my untutored eye seemed to lose speed in the middle phase and looked a bit restrictive.

Comment

I have had one eye on Chad Miller, though his 2018 performances faired better than 2019 in 100, 200, so I am curious to know why he has started his season in Austria with a 400...

Comment

• Stew-Coach
                          Stew-Coach commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Suspect chasing possible relay spot for Nanjing?
                          But does appear to run a few 400s indoor early, perhaps just as training.

Laura Muir & Shelayna O-C are running the 800 at the Millrose Games on 8th Feb.

Comment

I noticed Bethan Partridge jumped 1.90, PB at Loughborough over the weekend, well done on that landmark...

Comment

Working...
                          X