X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo back on track?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletic...2020-olympics/

Interesting?

Very interesting. I have to admit that I was surprised when I saw that as I thought he was adamant that he wouldn't return to track.

I'm not sure that it will work out for him (not that I think he would have medalled in the marathon) but I will watch with interest.

Comment

I'm slightly disappointed, but mainly because I'd been present in 2017 in London when he ran what I thought would be his last champs track race. One of two things seems to have happened - either Chicago told him he simply wasn't cut out for being confident about a marathon victory assault, or he's been seeing data / progress etc from the speedwork he still will have been doing that indicate his marathon training diversion has actually made him better (or at least retained his ability) over 10000m. Or maybe he just doesn't enjoy the marathon.

I wish him well, but would find it hard to bet against Cheptegei for the 10000m title; and there are a fair few others who would consider themselves to be medal potential too, especially now with the lure of deposing Mo as the all-time track champs great.

Comment

Wasn't anticipating this:-
        https://www.athleticsweekly.com/athl...lf-1039927610/

A fast half isn't a usual ideal prep for track 10k, and with Bekele having the potential to run a fairly sparkling time (if the right KB turns up), this could be quite a sobering race for Mo. Or maybe not - if Mo thinks he can give this a proper full on race, with no fear about damaging spring marathon chances, maybe he'll get one over KB on the roads?

Comment

On a related note, I wonder what's Mo's planned route through to selection for the Olympics? Let's face it, he should get picked no matter what the policy says, but there'll no doubt be political grumblings if he relies solely on performance director discretion, having not raced on a track since 2017.

I've not seen him announce a schedule of track races, but you'd expect a couple of 5ks and at least 1 10000m on the track? Or maybe he'll just run parkrun a few times ;-)

Comment

Surely he'll have to run at least one 10K to get the IAAF qualifying time, regardless of what UKA thinks. (Or enough to get a world ranking.)

Comment

He'd definitely need to post a sub 27:28 10000m on the track I think, ranking shouldn't be relevant if he gets that time, if I understand correctly. Needs to do that by the end of may I think.

Comment

New Panorama documentary tonight on Mo and the Al Salazar allegations.

Comment

Mo certainly didn't come across at all well there. Forgetting he took something (legal or otherwise) until he realised someone else had told the authorities? I can't imagine much less believable tbh. Not impressed by UKA's role either.

Comment

• Laps
                    Laps commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Didn't watch Panorama as it usually consists of loads of innuendo presented as damning and very little useful evidence.

Journalists winding themselves up only to get thoroughly deflated when Salazar wins his CAS appeal. Plenty of evidence of Salazar knocking on the door of the illegal in order to find an edge, but evidence of him going indoors is v.flimsy.

But I agree about UKA's and Mo's actions. I suppose Mo's importance to UKA explains their reluctant role. Mo understandable reaction, to persecution from elements of the media frustrated but determined to nail him, is to deny everything including in this case a 'legal' supplement.

• Occasional Hope
                    Occasional Hope commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It really made him look shifty.

• Sovietvest
                    Sovietvest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Laps is spot on. Add to the innuendo, the use of sinister music, photos of the UK doctor looking shify, a description of Fufge's trip to Zurich to make it sound like a meth deal and a photo of Farah in sunglasses looking like he's leaving a crime scene and you get an idea of the level of journalism here.

I think Salazar is a horrible man who frequently went outside what I consider to be the spirit of the sport. Sadly, I also don't find Mo a very appealing character nowadays (he certainly didn't endear himslef to the people of Teddington when he lived here recently). However, for 6 years the BBC Sports News lot have been desperately trying to find evidence of drug taking by Mo and have failed for a very good reason - he almost certainly didn't take any illegal drugs whilst with Salazar. The great irony is that when he was living in the house with the Kenyans prior to joiing Salazar I can well believe he took whatever they were taking and I suspect UKA moved him to Salalzar to keep him clean.

God knows what to make of that Panorama.

Forgetting that he’d taken a legit substance is really not a good look esp given all the other smoke around him. Comes on top of a Telegraph headline from a few days ago “Mo Farah admits lying about links with arrested coach Jana Aden”. Do people now instinctively trust what he says?

The programme had no smoking guns but it’s not unknown for journalists to drip feed insinuations / poison / teasers when they’re sitting on something bigger that their legal team won’t let them use.

I really have no idea what to think any more. As Soviet alludes to, Mo’s PR has been a disaster for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                    God knows what to make of that Panorama.

Forgetting that he’d taken a legit substance is really not a good look esp given all the other smoke around him. Comes on top of a Telegraph headline from a few days ago “Mo Farah admits lying about links with arrested coach Jana Aden”. Do people now instinctively trust what he says?

The programme had no smoking guns but it’s not unknown for journalists to drip feed insinuations / poison / teasers when they’re sitting on something bigger that their legal team won’t let them use.

I really have no idea what to think any more. As Soviet alludes to, Mo’s PR has been a disaster for a while now.
                    I'm seeing a lot of reactions along the lines of "how could he forget" and "why would he lie?"

I understood the whole thing as - Salazar and his team were constantly injecting Mo with micro-doses of all kinds of things (none of them illegal) and Mo genuinely just trusted and didn't even know what the substances were!

Listing this injection on the correct paperwork was missed (genuine error) and Mo denied the injection because he suspected it might be an illegal substance?

Speaks volumes about "The Cult Of Salazar" - however, framing it as "drug cheats" is incorrect and dishonest. There's an important conversation to be had about micro-dosing and ethics... it's a separate one to drug cheats and masking agents...

Comment

You need to be careful with the term micro-dosing. Because micro-dosing is generally regarded as being the tactic of dosing small, undetectable (but effective) amounts of *illegal* substances. You wouldn't micro dose something legitimate, because there's no need to dose at a micro level if it's legal.

I think there is some legimate conversation to be had about routes of administration. If drinking something with L-Carnatine is effective, but not as effective as injecting it (up to 50ml), is one route in the spirit of the sport and another not? Substitute "beetroot juice" for L-Carna tinein that sentence and does your view change?

I think Mo's either genuine air-headedness or intentional lie (even if he was certain that the product and the method was legal) was likely influenced by Salazar's directive to his team about the injections as Salazar was convinced that disclosing the legal administration would still raise unnecessary questions and doubts.

Still, throughout all of this, no-one has come with the smoking gun and said "I saw real, provable, doping at NOP". That, perversely, reassures me greatly - the opportunity now for someone to come clean, whether they are from the supply chain, junior staff, bitter ex NOP etc is huge. And yet, there's been nothing more brought to the party.

I still think that Mo is entirely clean as an athlete. Grey area clean, maybe, but clean. And not terribly bright / good at PR either!
                      Last edited by larkim; 28-02-20, 06:25. Reason: annoying typos!

Comment

Agreed, Larkim. There are so many bitter ex-athletes, any use of illegal drugs would have come to light. Why give stuff to Mo but not to the Gouchers or Mary Cain? The worst allegation is that athletes receive Thyroxine who didn't really need it. However:
                        1) Adam Goucher who expressed concern that receiving the drug may have damaged his health, was prescribed it before he joined Salalzar and it was him who introduced Dr Brown to Salazar!
                        2) Lambie said that her Thyroid readings were 'normal'. However, many people (myself included) are prescribed Thyroxine with what are called 'subclinical' symptoms. If you present with certain syptoms such as fatigue (as Lambie said she did) and your readings are at the low end, then you may be prescribed the drug. If you take too much, you will get the symptoms she described (heart beating too fast, feeling jumpy etc) and then your doctor will move you to a lower dose (as I'm sure happened with her). This happened to me and I can assure you it didn't feel like a PED when the dose was too high - I felt awful.
                        3) Dr Brown has worked with large numbers of US MD and distance runners and given many Thyroid medication - including NOP-critic Jenny Simpson. Panorama would have you believe he was a rogue Medic in Salazar's pocket. Interestingly, Steve Magness, who acted like such a victim when Brown admistered L-carnitine to him mentioned on a recent Podcast that Brown was his family doctor and he'd been seeing him since he was a teenager.

I can't believe I continually find myself defending Salazar to friends and family. I don't like him one bit (and I like Nike even less) but the reporting is so biased it drives me crazy.

Comment

Working...
                        X