Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodder45
    replied
    Cameron Fillery and Seamus Derbyshire have improved massively in the Hurdles. Holly Mills and Jessica Turner from the women's. Both had exceptional seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Ladyloz
    replied
    I would imagine many of the medallists from the Euro Juniors would be on the programme, together with some of the U23s like Bromby & Boldiszar.

Max Burgin & also Amy Hunt have probably run good enough times to be placed on the World Class Performance Programme but I'd keep them on Futures for now.

Leave a comment:

• Stew-Coach
    replied
    3 very good shouts! With Charlie and Jona already on I wouldn't expect 5 male short sprinters on the programme, so would need a sacrificial lamb or 2 from that list

Leave a comment:

• Runner88
    commented on 's reply
    Just a remark that Boffey actually won gold at the Euro Juniors this year! Followed that by mixing it up nicely with the seniors at the British champs. Outside shot to make the Olympic team next year IMO.

• sprintdude
    replied
    Originally posted by NewHeadOfBA View Post
    Who would you suggest to be brought into that programme?
    Dom Ashwell , Oliver Bromby , Jeremiah Azu are 3 names that stick out for me

Leave a comment:

• Stew-Coach
    commented on 's reply
    good update!

• NewHeadOfBA
    replied
    Who would you suggest to be brought into that programme?

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    Interesting first topic... I had been thinking of giving my report card on poduim and potential, then thought what do I know!

However, for the record, those on the futures programme are ...

ATHLETES SUPPORTED BY THE BRITISH ATHLETICS OLYMPIC FUTURES PROGRAMME 2019

Alicia Barrett (100m hurdles); Sam Bennett (110m hurdles); Maya Bruney (200m); Alastair Chalmers (400m hurdles); Charlie Dobson (200m); Jona Efoloko (200m); Hannah Williams (400m); Isabelle Boffey (800m); Alex Botterill (800m); Max Burgin (800m); Jake Heyward (1500m); Keely Hodgkinson (800m); Markhim Lonsdale (800m); Canaan Solomon (800m); Thomas Staines (800m); George Armstrong (discus); Lewis Byng (shot); Jake Norris (hammer); Divine Oladipo (shot/discus); James Tomlinson (discus); Serena Vincent (shot); Molly Caudery (pole vault); Lucy Hadaway (long jump); Holly Mills (combined events); Jade O’Dowda (combined events); Dominic Ogbechie (high jump)

Some names that have been mentioned often in recent times (Burgin, Mills), some I have noted with interest (Staines, Ogbechie), some that have seemed to have plateau'd (Williams,Lonsdale) and some I had never heard of, even though I pride myself in knowing the next generation, (Solomon, Vincent)

Alicia Barret - Hasn't progressed at all from her promising junior days and unless something changes with her soon, that's unlikely to improve.

Sam Bennett - Gold medalist at the Euro U-18's last year and would have been a medal contender at this years' Euro U-20's until an injury put paid to his season back in May. Huge talent and definitely one to look for in the next five years or so. Look for him making some waves at the World Juniors next year in Nairobi.

Maya Bruney - Euro U-20 200m champion in 2017 and was looking like a real prospect over that and the 400m, but was struck by a leg injury last year and has struggled to get back to form an fitness ever since.

Hannah Williams - Not really been able to get out of the shadow of her older sister Jodie and after looking good a couple of years ago, she hasn't quite made the step up that many thought she would. Still just 21 years old though.

Isabelle Boffey - A season of redemption for her after crashing out at the semi final stage of the 800m at the World Juniors last year. She lowered her PB by a couple of seconds, won a very well earned gold in the 800m ahead of Schlbas, before running a storming leg in the victorious 4x400m team. To top off her season, she finished a highly credible 4th place in the UK Trials final, ahead of several older, more experienced runners too. A very promising runner.

Keely Hodgkingson - Coming off winning gold at the Euro U-18's last year, Hodgkingson further built upon her reputation with a bronze medal behind Boffey in Boras, also smashing her PB in the process. All this at the age of 17! One to keep an eye on.

Alastair Chalmers - Was the favourite for gold in the 400m hurdles at the Euro U-20's this, having set the British U-20 record earlier in the season, but then DQ'd himself in the semi-final. Another promising athlete, though with the current strength of the event in world terms, he'll have to improve massively to be getting into any sort of global final.

Charlie Dobson, Jona Efoloko - The surprise packages of the World U-20's last year, with locking out the gold and silver medals over 200m over much more fancied opponents, doing so having set lifetime bests in the heats, semi-final and final (Efoloko). This year has been more difficult though, especially for Efoloko. Both would have been medal candidates in the Euro-U-23's in Gavle, but both had suffered from injuries at various times in the season, with Efoloko in particular way off the times he'd run last year. Dobson managed to recover somewhat better and managed to equal his PB at the 200m final in the UK Trials. Both have bags of potential, though in Dobson I think he might be better suited over 400m in future.

Markhim Lonsdale - Hard to make much progress when you've been sidelined by injury most of the year. Big talent, but the 800m is seriously stacked at the junior and U-23 level in this country currently, so it's going to some battle to rise to the top.

Canaan Solomon - Not really a name that I'm very familar with. Went out at the semi-finals of the 800m in the Euro -U20's in Grosseto 2017 (in which the gold would ultimately go to teammate Lonsdale). Not made much of a mark ever since. Missed out the Euro U-23's after getting the top 3 spot at the U-23 English Champs but not getting the qualifying standard a few days later in Watford. Will still be an U-23 next year, but as with Lonsdale, with how much talent is out there in his age group in this country currently, it might be difficult for him to make a breakthrough.

Alex Botterill - Has had a very successful junior career. Former English Schools 800m champion, Commonwealth Youth Games gold medalist over 800m in 2017, and made the 800m final at the World Juniors last year (and would have possibly done better than the 6th place finish he managed if not for getting mixed up in Markim Lonsdale's fall). This year, he was one of *8* U-20's to go under the qualifying standard 1:49.00 for the Euro U-20's, and in any other year would have possibly been a gold medal contender at those finals. It was his misfortune that his last year in this age group featured the fastest junior 800m runners Britain has seen in a generation or two.
    Certainly deserving to be on the Futures programme.

Max Burgin - EU18R, British Junior record, the fastest teenager over 800m for several years. Led the overall British rankings this year for several weeks and still ended the season with the 6th fastest time of the year in all age catergories. European U-18 champion last year at a canter. And but for an unfortunate leg injury on the eve of competition, he would have cantered to gold in Boras too.
    Quite simply one of the most talented and promising young athletes not only in Britian, but in the world right now. Fingers crossed that he remains fit and healthy over the next few years.

Thomas Staines - Hard to make much of judgement on Staines really. American based so he's been part of the often hectic NCAA system and his performances are usually geared for being at his best for them and not for championships later in the year, as evidenced by him flaming out in the heats of the UK Championships in August. Certainly a talented runner but might have to wait till after he has finished college (like we did with Josh Kerr) to see how good he is an a middle distance runner.

Jake Heyward - European U-18 1500m champion 2016, European U-20 1500m champion, World U-20 4th placer. He's had a very successful junior career. Not so succesful in his first year as an U-23. He managed to make it to the final of the Euro U-23's in Gavle, but could only finish 11th. Still only 20 years old and definitely worthy of being on the Futures scheme.
    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 24-10-19, 01:26.

Leave a comment:

• NewHeadOfBA
    replied
    Thank you, wanted to get a good debate going

I agree there are some strange inclusions on this list, and with all respect very few of those whom have been included in recent years have failed to progress! Perhaps they are overpowered by the UKA format and forced inclusion and if their current coach isn't strong enough to hold them back and resist either the athlete or themselves then they will get swallowed up.

Some of them I see are with "National" coaches already or have moved to them and become stale, as you mentioned Williams/Lonsdale etc (I expect those like Williams to be replaced by a few up and coming female sprinters)

I suspect AC to be included in the relay funding moving forward

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    replied
    Interesting first topic... I had been thinking of giving my report card on poduim and potential, then thought what do I know!

However, for the record, those on the futures programme are ...

ATHLETES SUPPORTED BY THE BRITISH ATHLETICS OLYMPIC FUTURES PROGRAMME 2019

Alicia Barrett (100m hurdles); Sam Bennett (110m hurdles); Maya Bruney (200m); Alastair Chalmers (400m hurdles); Charlie Dobson (200m); Jona Efoloko (200m); Hannah Williams (400m); Isabelle Boffey (800m); Alex Botterill (800m); Max Burgin (800m); Jake Heyward (1500m); Keely Hodgkinson (800m); Markhim Lonsdale (800m); Canaan Solomon (800m); Thomas Staines (800m); George Armstrong (discus); Lewis Byng (shot); Jake Norris (hammer); Divine Oladipo (shot/discus); James Tomlinson (discus); Serena Vincent (shot); Molly Caudery (pole vault); Lucy Hadaway (long jump); Holly Mills (combined events); Jade O’Dowda (combined events); Dominic Ogbechie (high jump)

Some names that have been mentioned often in recent times (Burgin, Mills), some I have noted with interest (Staines, Ogbechie), some that have seemed to have plateau'd (Williams,Lonsdale) and some I had never heard of, even though I pride myself in knowing the next generation, (Solomon, Vincent)

Leave a comment:

• NewHeadOfBA
    started a topic UKA Futures Programme?

UKA Futures Programme?

Long time snooper deciding to pipe up

I was reviewing the current crop of funded athletes in the podium and potential list in view of the upcoming discussion due. and of course there are a fair few athletes whom need to be removed from both lists, but that's another thread perhaps for someone else to start.

This got me looking at athletes on the futures programme, some now for a couple of years and wondered who we thought has earned the right to step up in funding, be kept on, dropped and of course which young athletes may be added this year?
Working...
X