Jodie Williams
    Bianca Williams
    Rabah Yousif

Leave a comment:

• just_a_fan
    replied
    https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/...rogramme-2020/

The article has the following statement:

British Athletics Futures Programme athletes will be announced within the next week.

Leave a comment:

• Stew-Coach
    replied
    Yeah I've not heard anything, the WCPP discussions were also meant to have been last Mon and Tue so that news should also be breaking around now.

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    replied
    Stew-Coach any update on that meeting? there is often some kind of announcement in November, and I am sure those aiming for Tokyo would welcome assurance that funding is in place... or are UKA so occupied by ZHP ( I can hear the employment lawyers now carving their fees out of this mess) that they don't have time for the future ?

Meanwhile, not been discussed anywhere else but Anyika Onuora has announced her retirement, a sterling career if not quite the heights she may have hoped for, but I hope she remains in and around the sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/50546336

Leave a comment:

• Stew-Coach
    replied
    I did hear it was delayed, The normal funding discussions are next Mon/Tue so perhaps to be at the same time.

If there is any money left of course after the creation of these "Talent Hubs"

Leave a comment:

• sprintdude
    replied
    Originally posted by larkim View Post
    I wonder if they are mulling over how to achieve their goals with £500k of VAT to be paid...
    Scrapping relay funding would achieve that goal.

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    replied
    I wonder if they are mulling over how to achieve their goals with £500k of VAT to be paid...

Leave a comment:

• sprintdude
    replied
    Shouldn't this have been announced by now ?

Leave a comment:

• Alanx7
    commented on 's reply
    Like most decisions that have to be made in life there are pro's & con's. Not everybody would be suited to the collegiate system, however, some aspects are attractive.

Personally I doubt if it's worth the analysis better to concentrate on looking after the athletes that stay here & keep good communication with those based in the US.
    There have always been & will be drop outs...

• LoveSprints1
    replied
    Originally posted by sidelined View Post
    Can Dominic Ogbechie throw? I wonder if he'd be tempted by the decathlon?

I understand why so many GB athletes opt for the US system - a much cheaper way to get a degree than staying here, and great competition. But I worry that some of them are suddenly put into much more intense programmes than they're used to and the risk of injury and burn-out can be high.
    Has there been any research into the percentage of UK athletes who go to the US NCAA system and burn out and the percentage who stay here and burn out or drop out of the sport? Plenty of British based athletes who were promising at u17 and u20 level never make it in this country.

The US system is very much survival of the fittest. On average in the US less than 2% of student athletes across all sports go on to have Pro careers - the figure is slightly higher for Football and Basketball. The stated goal of the NCAA is to give the most talented collegiate athletes great competition and for them to get a degree. Not a bad goal to set them up for life and for the overseas students to have a life changing experience with great facilities, competition and for some to study at a level they would not have been able to access in the UK . Throw in freedom from 50K of debt if they had stayed over here and a professional coaching structure at collegiate level where physios and nutritionists are on site, the choice is understandable. It won't work for everyone but Loughborough et al don't work for everyone either.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    I would have thought it might have been PV that did Dominic in - he used to do multi events but I’m guessing the change was to limit injury as well as excel in one/a couple of areas. Multis athletes get used more than most to get points for colleges in the US system, in my experience, which has put a few I know off going over there - burnout is quite high!

Leave a comment:

• sidelined
    replied
    Can Dominic Ogbechie throw? I wonder if he'd be tempted by the decathlon?

I understand why so many GB athletes opt for the US system - a much cheaper way to get a degree than staying here, and great competition. But I worry that some of them are suddenly put into much more intense programmes than they're used to and the risk of injury and burn-out can be high.
    Last edited by sidelined; 10-11-19, 00:06.

Leave a comment:

• LoveSprints1
    replied
    A whole tier of potential Futures British talent has just gone to the USA or is planning to. Sam Bennett, Amber Anning, Josh Zeller, Amaya Scott, Pippa Earley, Karl Johnson, Ethan Brown plus many more U20 top 10 athletes. Will be interesting to see how they all fare over the next few years.

Yasmine Liverpool - incredibly exciting prospect. Getting stronger and faster. Props to you Stew-Coach.
    Last edited by LoveSprints1; 02-11-19, 08:26.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    "Thoughts on Amber's move to the US??

Personally id say Yasmin is a good prospect but I'm Biased lol"

As long as she enjoys her education there and comes out with the grades she expects, then I'm more than fine with it... Not like I have any say in the decision of course!

Also going to a nation that routinely turns out some of the fastest 400m runners in the world is surely got to be a good thing for her in the long run.

As for Yasmin Liverpool... She's an interesting athlete because she's somewhat of a late comer to athletics - her first recored performances were from 2015 as a 16 year old, nothing before then - and her times have dropped consistently. This year was easily her fastest set of times over 200m and 400m, taking over 2 seconds off from her previous 400m best last year and dipping under 53 seconds for the first time too.

Definitely one to keep an eye on.

• Stew-Coach
    replied
    Well I guess we will find out soon enough, national Talent Programmes along with Futures and the WCP all to be confirmed in November, will be interesting if anyone is removed from any level leading into Olympic year

Leave a comment:

Working...
X