Brigid Kosgei 2:14.04 WR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brigid Kosgei 2:14.04 WR!

While I think many will be surprised that Paula Radcliffe's record has gone but it has been 16 years.

The mixed WR to be pedantic.

Yes, amazing! Very even paced - 66:59 followed by a 67:05.

And just 4 minutes behind Mo Farah!

Comment

Now this one really is impressive!

Comment

Superior to yesterday's show imo. Incredible running!

Comment

Have to salute this ! Fantastic performance...

Paula's record lasted 16 years . This might do the same.

Comment

Was great to see her go out with such intent too. She knew what she was capable of.
            I do wish the male pacemakers had been called out before 35km though, just for the visuals as much as anything else.

Comment

It left me cold yesterday. Aside from the undoubted impact of the shoes, her association with Rosa makes me feel uneasy. Judging by Paula's reaction to her after the race, she has her doubts. No real praise of the performance in the interviews; no acknowledgement on Twitter and she looked distinctly uncomfortable posing with Kosgei after the race.

Comment

I'm still with a glass half full attitude. She's put herself out there to be shot at in terms of focussed testing etc. I appreciate the associations add circumstantial suspicions, but until she is tested positive or someone in her camp makes tangible claims about her I'm going to treat her as clean, as the alternative is just to have my own list of WRs based on my hunches, and they are likely to be wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
                  I'm still with a glass half full attitude. She's put herself out there to be shot at in terms of focussed testing etc. I appreciate the associations add circumstantial suspicions, but until she is tested positive or someone in her camp makes tangible claims about her I'm going to treat her as clean, as the alternative is just to have my own list of WRs based on my hunches, and they are likely to be wrong!
                  With the rotten record of Kenyans cheating copiously on track and road, and the dodgy agents and coaches involved with some of them, i cannot be anything but sceptical about all the East African wonder stuff on the roads and in stadiums. Would be great if these wonder shoes were not yet allowed but having seen the the changes that have altered games like Tennis and Golf, not always for the best imo,, unlikely to be touched by the International authorities in sports such as above

Comment

I don't fault anyone for being sceptical, tbh. My glass is half full, but there is a big chunk of empty glass there! The sport needs to find ways of resolving this, or individual athletes need to find their own custom solutions to put questions about doping to bed. But the only solutions, short of massive scientific advancement, are disproportionately expensive in ££ or resourcing terms to put in place. e.g. it would be great if for the last 2 years we could have a urine sample stored day by day for athletes like Brigid or Eluid. But without putting a doping control officer in their accommodation and travelling with them across the world, we'd have to be relying on the athletes to handle that themselves, and then we'd still have cynicism about how samples were taken etc.

The more I see about it, the more I'm annoyed by the shoes escalation. In general I'm a fan of technology, and for races where everyone has the chance to be in the same performance enhancing kit it's not an issue if the objective is to get to the finish line first. But athletics, especially distance running, is often about that race against the clock and those sorts of marks are really important. Not knowing whether Kipchoge's race times (put the 1:59 to one side) are as dominant as they are because of the shoes or not is quite irritating. Ditto Kosgei - though I suspect the gap that she has over Radcliffe now probably says that at worst she is on a par with Radcliffe.

Comment

This article could quite happily live in any number of threads....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/50043518

Comment

The shoes are very reminiscent of the swimsuits which ended up being banned in swimming.

Comment

Link on Letsrun to an interesting analysis of Kosgei’s running style that has been transformed in last two years. Visibly bigger glutes and hamstrings are a factor but the shoes certainly changed her gait for the better.

Comment

She only chose to run in those shoes the day before, by all accounts. Though presumably that ws just a switch from the 4%s to the Next%s.

Comment

Working...
                            X