1.59:40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.59:40

Surprised there have been no comments on Kipchoge’s landmark.

I’m usually as interested in the joggers as Larkim is in the throwers but I watched it completely rapt.

Quite rightly not a record, but a fascinating experiment and an amazing achievement.

We’re a way off the first sub 2 in a race, but it will come one day.

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
    Surprised there have been no comments on Kipchoge’s landmark.

I’m usually as interested in the joggers as Larkim is in the throwers but I watched it completely rapt.

Quite rightly not a record, but a fascinating experiment and an amazing achievement.

We’re a way off the first sub 2 in a race, but it will come one day.
    could be that the failure of fans to comment was that this whole phony attempt to run under 2 hours is seen as a vanity, money making nonsense. with multiple pacemakers and other special provisions which make this run of little interest to many; we already know that at least two men are very near to the 2 hour mark.

Comment

• Christy93
      Christy93 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. My family were all in amazement until I informed them that it was achieved with 'special' trainers, an optimal course plan, electronic pacemakers, optimal conditions, human pacemakers in a windbreak formation etc. He's a living legend, greatest marathon runner ever for me, but this whole 2hr marathon malarkey is boring. Lovely to see the reactions on the streets in Kenya though; I'd love them to have the capability of hosting Worlds one day, what an atmosphere they'd make.

It feels like a gimmick and, worse, one which devalues the next time the actual WR is broken.

Comment

Actually, talking of unheralded achievements, no one has said anything here about Alyson Dixon breaking the 30 year old 50K world record in September: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/49544053

Comment

Like others above I was somewhat underwhelmed by the whole thing...

I mean it is an amazing physical achievement of course ; but more akin to a Guinness Book of Records stunt than athletics as we know it. One day someone will presumably run a proper marathon under two hours : I'd have preferred to have had the world wait for that.

Comment

I watched it and thought it was truly amazing, despite the advantages that he had to make it more achievable. And the best thing is that now that that mark is ticked off in "artificial" circumstances, we can start to focus on whether it can be done in a race.

Comment

I really enjoyed watching it and felt quite emotional as he broke through the pacemakers and kicked for home.

However, these shoes are ridiculous. One of the nine Americans wearing them yesterday who ran sub-2:12, said it was like running on a trampoline. And that's not the latest version worn by Kipchoge.

Comment

Working...
            X