KJT or DAS for SPOTY 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KJT or DAS for SPOTY 2019?

I think they both deserve it, but will probably split the athletics vote.

So who deserves it more?

Dina, one gold and two silvers, plus diamond league win. Gold winning performance superlative but lacked opposition.

Kat much more of a surprise, brilliant throughout, but some will say against injured rival.

Amazing though Dina is, I might pick Kat.

Other thoughts?

I can't see either of them getting close to Ben Stokes but Dina rather than Kat for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Laps View Post
      I can't see either of them getting close to Ben Stokes but Dina rather than Kat for me.
      Whilst I agree that’s the likely outcome, I find it depressing that outplaying a single country’s bowlers is held in higher regard than beating competition from around the world.

Comment

It’s going to be Owen Farrell......:-)

Hamilton’s 6th world title will get more votes than it should.

Peaty going sub 57 won’t get as many votes as it should.

Dina and Kat will split the athletics vote. The more casual follower may be tempted by Dina, but I’d go for Kat.

Stokes is likely though. Headingley in the Ashes was improbably freakish, but his innings in the World Cup final should be what really wins it. 2 astonishing innings with a healthy dollop of redemption thrown in.
        Last edited by Ursus; 06-10-19, 23:15.

Comment

If we're all honest, Adam Peaty is probably already the greatest British athlete of all time. We have never had an athlete as dominant as him in an Olympic sport. A few mindblowing statistics;

- He has never lost a race at the European Championships; Not a heat, semi or final. 12 events entered, 12 golds won.

- He is, at the age of 24, already an 8 time World Champion and has never lost a heat, semi or final in an individual event on the global stage in his career (Worlds/Olympics).

He won't win, but he absolutely hands down deserves to at a canter.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
            If we're all honest, Adam Peaty is probably already the greatest British athlete of all time. We have never had an athlete as dominant as him in an Olympic sport. A few mindblowing statistics;

- He has never lost a race at the European Championships; Not a heat, semi or final. 12 events entered, 12 golds won.

- He is, at the age of 24, already an 8 time World Champion and has never lost a heat, semi or final in an individual event on the global stage in his career (Worlds/Olympics).

He won't win, but he absolutely hands down deserves to at a canter.
            Adam Peaty is the greatest breastroker in history, and as you say, that's before he is ever reached the age of 25.

Not only is he undefeated in World or Olympic competition at 50m (Worlds only) and 100m Breastroke, no-one has come within 1 and a half seconds of his various world records at the 100m distance. In fact, he is the only human to swim the event under 58 AND 57 seconds. No one else has done that! And heading into the Tokyo Olympic swimming program next summer, there is likely nobody on the planet who is going to get close to him again.

Funnily enough, much like heptathlon has produced a production-line of world class exponents (neatly returning this entertaining derail back to KJT at least!), the men's breastroke team has also become a production line in the last decade or so. Along with Peaty, you've got Ross Murdoch the 2014 Commonwealth champion over 200m and bronze medalist over 100m and British record holder at the 200m distance, Micheal Jamieson (retired) silver medalist over 100m breastroke at London 2012, James Wilby who won silver behind Peaty at this year's World Championships (and in the process becoming the joint 3rd fastest man ever over the distance). And there are a bunch of juniors coming through who, inspired by Peaty's achievements, coming through the system too.

Yeah, Adam should be an easy winner of SPOTY, but it's almost certainly going to Ben Stokes.
            Last edited by RunUnlimited; 07-10-19, 00:33.

Comment

Bookies have pretty much given it to Stokes.

DAS and KJT are 2nd and 3rd favourites.

Comment

• Laps
                Laps commented
                Editing a comment
                You only have to read Ben Stoke's Wiki entries for this year to see why he is going to win SPOTY -

2019 Cricket World Cup

In the opening match of the tournament against South Africa, he made a score of 89 runs from 79 balls, claimed two wickets, ran out Dwaine Pretorius and took two catches to be declared "Man of the Match" in a comprehensive 104-run win for England. His catch to dismiss Andile Phehlukwayo has been described as "one of the greatest catches of all time". In the final against New Zealand, he scored 84*, including 2 sixes in the final over, to tie the game. He then batted in the super over with Jos Buttler, which again was a tie, but England won the match on the boundary count back rule. For this performance, he was named "Man of the Match" for the second time in the tournament.

2019 Ashes

Faced with an incisive Australian bowling attack and Bradmanesque batting contribution from Steve Smith, Stokes played a pivotal role in enabling England ultimately to draw the 2019 Ashes series 2–2 (although Australia thereby retained the urn). In the third test at Headingley, England appeared to be heading for almost certain defeat after they were bowled out for 67 in their first innings.Stokes managed to overturn an overnight Australian lead, hitting 11 fours and 8 sixes to win with an unbeaten 135* in a record pursuit of 359. His innings has been described as "one of the greatest innings of all time" and the "greatest ever played by an Englishman".

Just seen pictures of Ben Stokes appearing to choke his wife at Cricket Awards. Things might not be straight forward anymore.

Comment

• Laps
                Laps commented
                Editing a comment
                Yawn!
                Our media are pathetic.

KJT nominated for IAAF Athlete of the Year: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/50057749

Comment

Working...
              X