No announcement yet.

Holy moly KJT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never knew KJT’s mum was a Doriss Girl. Respect! Those dancers are so talented and physically fit. Went to the Moulin Rouge for my 40th birthday….one of the best nights of my life. Despite some misgivings beforehand involving words like ‘seedy’ and ‘mid life crisis’ Mrs Ursus also loved it. Just a spectacular and spectacularly good show.

As for what we can expect in Tokyo, unfortunately I can’t see that Kat’s going to be in shape to be at the sharp end. I suspect something like 6th or an early retirement, either to be accompanied by floods of tears. I desperately hope she can prove me wrong but I think Tokyo’s come just a bit too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
      Never knew KJT’s mum was a Doriss Girl. Respect! Those dancers are so talented and physically fit. Went to the Moulin Rouge for my 40th birthday….one of the best nights of my life. Despite some misgivings beforehand involving words like ‘seedy’ and ‘mid life crisis’ Mrs Ursus also loved it. Just a spectacular and spectacularly good show.

As for what we can expect in Tokyo, unfortunately I can’t see that Kat’s going to be in shape to be at the sharp end. I suspect something like 6th or an early retirement, either to be accompanied by floods of tears. I desperately hope she can prove me wrong but I think Tokyo’s come just a bit too soon.
      if shes 90% fit , she will get the silver, even if she flames out i cant see her crying, a much more mature athelte than she once was, she will be well aware of her expectations and level of fitness

Comment

If she's fit enough to complete the whole 7 events I'm going for between 12th and 18th position matching her commwealth Gold performance of 2019.

Comment

I would be *hugely* surprised if a 62xx performance gets much lower than the 10th or so.

As for my prediction, based on her being in:
          1.86m
          12.60m
          6.20m
          40m
          2:12

shape - which is basically SB with a tiny bit of improvement for the competition circumstances, that comes to: 6359, which I would guess will get her 6th to 8th.

If she can suddenly turn that into:
          1.89m
          13m
          6.40m
          40m
          2:11

we're suddenly looking at 6561, which will almost certainly get a medal. Sadly I suspect she will be in that shape at the end of August, not the end of July. It is the Long Jump being down from 6.70m+ that is the huge blow, as at her best no-one in the world can touch her there.

Comment

• Loop-guru
            Loop-guru commented
            Editing a comment
            Are standards down from Rio 2016? 62xx would have got between 14th and 18th then. 65xx would have got 5th or 6th.

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            In 2017, 62xx was 10th to 12th (if you exclude KJT), and in 2019 62xx was 6th to 8th (again, excluding KJT) - so yeah, a bit lower, and I'm guessing the pandemic won't have helped.

• trickstat
            trickstat commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably a combo of a few older athletes in decline or retired and Covid making access to tracks difficult for many. Multi-eventers arguably need access to a track more than any other type of athlete.

She looks a fair degree slighter to me which will affect the throws

Comment

Originally posted by CAML View Post
            I think there will be at least two athletes under the 400h world record, with the KJT rollercoaster as an aperitif. I'll go with these marks for Kat(if she finishes) 13.30, 1.87, 13.00, 23.40, 6.40, 41.00, 2.13.
            CAML posted this on another thread, not that I need any excuse to bump my favourite topic but who knows which KJT is going too turn up. However, being woeful at predictions (see interim results on luckyspikes contest) I will just set my alarm and try to enjoy the KJT 'roller coaster' ...

Comment

very good start for KJT... the only downside is I had to listen to Colin Jackson's babble....

immediately after KJT's race I crawl to bed, what 1.45 ish, only to suddenly and inexplicably wake at 4.30 to catch the briefest of Beeb updates from the Hep HJ (KJT a 1.86 to go a rusty third, but Thiam will hardly be thrilled at 'only' 1.92 but leads the comp) I am well and truly strapped into the roller coaster ...

Shot Putt... as Denise Lewis said, KJT needs to get 'those lovely legs' working and limits her losses with a 13.31 ...

oh dear ...
              Last edited by carterhatch; 04-08-21, 13:36.

Comment

the statement ...

"I don't know where to begin in trying to explain how I feel,

"Only a handful of people understand what I've been through. Even a smaller amount understand the mental and physical challenges I've faced trying to make it back in time through a pandemic after my Achilles ruptured the back end of December. I started the year in a wheelchair and I was not willing to end my Olympic campaign the same way.

"To make it to the line was a miracle. To not only do that, but to be on my way to putting a decent score together, is heartbreaking. I truly believed I was capable of winning a medal despite having up to half a year of missed training.

"More than ever, I am proud that I showed up, put myself out there and tried. It would have been very easy to shy away & pull out, to say I wasn't ready and blame the injury but I'm not that type of athlete or person.

"I am a fighter, I'm gritty AF and I find it extremely hard to give up. I can rest easy knowing I applied myself every single day and pushed until I couldn't push anymore.

"I've sacrificed so much, moving my entire life to France five years ago away from my family and friends. I've lost heart knowing that the work my team and I have done for the last eight months was for this outcome and I hate that my story has played out in more heartbreak.

"I've been knocked so many times and got back up, but it will take a lot of time for me to process this reality.

"I appreciate everyone's kind messages. Thank you."

Comment

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think every forum member must have hoped for the best and wish her well. I am in no doubt Katarina Johnson-Thompson is the most naturally gifted female athlete I have ever seen represent Team GB and we may never see the like again. I have ridden the KJT roller coaster of my own volition and I am more than willing to wait patiently for the next ride, but one wonders if it were better if she called time on heptathlon.

• MysteryBrick
                  MysteryBrick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why is everyone saying this? Over 2018 and 2019 she finally got things together and was rewarded with a Commonwealth Gold, European Silver and World Gold. She has now suffered what I believe is her first serious injury, but is only 28. Her previous heptathlon issues were mental, she seems to have resolved them, she needs to relax, fix the injuries and then score 6800 to win the next three majors (which she is definitely capable of).

Moving to US coach Petros Kyprianou, but possibly at a distance: Katarina Johnson-Thompson to bounce back from Tokyo heartache and double up - Mirror Online

Hopefully doing Commonwealths and Worlds next year.

I guess we can understand from this quote why she never went to Minichiello:
                At the time Bertrand was the person and coach that I needed. He was very chilled, very relaxed, the sort of person you could never anger and the right type of person to calm me down and help me relax

Comment

Working...
                X