Live 📺 👉🏻https://www.athleticstv.net/iaafworldrelays2019/

Comment

Oh dear Desiree Henry....

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
        Oh dear Desiree Henry....
        I couldn't really tell from the replay if it was her fault or Nelson's.

Comment

Originally posted by franknotes View Post

I couldn't really tell from the replay if it was her fault or Nelson's.
          Well all in all, not a great start for the women sprint relay squad, nor a particularly edifying return to action for Henry after missing virtually all of last season recovering from hip surgery.

Comment

The men's squad on the other hand, comfortably qualified for the final, the quartet of Ujah, HAA, Gemili and Mitchell-Blake running well and looking every bit the team that won the World title in London 2 years ago. Gemili especially looked impressive on the 3rd leg.

Comment

I thought Henry looked quite good in the open, perhaps the fault at the handover was Nelsons but it’s hard to tell. Yes RunUn the men’s 4x100 looked good, considering a lot of the times weren’t particularly quick (cool evening?) - 3.02 in the men’s 4x4 - their run was amongst the best of the day

Comment

Anyika might be ill, but if not and just not in shape, she should have given up her spot, given how many runners are out there. Looked awful and the collapse at the end suggests she tried her best but way down on what was expected - surely PSD could have done better

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                  Anyika might be ill, but if not and just not in shape, she should have given up her spot, given how many runners are out there. Looked awful and the collapse at the end suggests she tried her best but way down on what was expected - surely PSD could have done better
                  Yeah, Anyika looked terrible in the last 120m. Unless she was ill (who knows, food poisoning whilst abroad has been the undoing of many a sportsman and woman down the years), it looked like she was weeks away from any sort of fitness. Certainly not the level of fitness required for world class competition at least. Whether PSD would have done better will always be a matter of conjecture, but she couldn't have been any worse than Onoura was yesterday.

Agyapong also struggled on the 2nd leg yesterday, not able to make any headway and going backwards in the home straight.

(Oh to have a young and fully fit 2006-07 Nicola Sanders again...)

Comment

@jimbojames

Always pleased to acknowledge a fellow Nicola-phile (as I've said before her run at the 2007 European Athletics Indoor Championships is in my all time top ten UK athletics moments) ...

but coming back to the IAAF World relays... I have to say Desiree Henry looked strong on her leg, but that changeover with Nelson makes you wonder what they do with all that 'relay' funding ...still the lead up to the event has been great for all their social media...

I actually thought that NMB stepped onto his line when taking the baton from Gemilli, so hope they make some adjustments.

Anyika has been a great servant for British Athletics without ever being spectacular but I think her best is behind her, but I am shocked at how Agyapong has not kicked on from a couple of seasons ago... is she a reluctant 400m runner caught betwixt that and 200? We could have had a great women's 4x200, although I am not convinced that these 'gimmick' events should find a way into the Olympic programme...

I couldn't help but think that the men's 4x400 is more like a Dad's Army line up, is the depth of younger runners so shallow? We cant just rely on the rather precocious talents of MHS ...

I know it is very early in the season, but I hope Laviai Nielsen can find a little more as she strikes me as the only one of the runners in the 4x400 remotely able to make a World final...

finally, this forum, what has happened! I am really perturbed by the spam postings - I bet AW have a social media director/manager/assistant - can one of them not get rid of these interlopers as I am loosing the will to visit...

Comment

I think a few athletes haven’t prepared for this meet and are enjoying a nice trip. Can’t blame them, but if the event is to be taken seriously, athletes should be made to prove form. If not, take a chance on Dobbin etc and give them a run out to see how they go

I doubt Nelson or Onoura will make Doha quartets. Philip-DAS-Awuah-Henry is possibly our best sprint team, depending on what Lansiquot and Nieta do this year. 4x400m...Jodie Williams and DAS are probably right in the mix as things stand!

Men’s 4x400m - we need a couple of the 200m guys to commit to being on the team, as they’ve run great legs already this year...and the rest are not cutting it with the likes of the US, Jamaica, T&T etc

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                        I think a few athletes haven’t prepared for this meet and are enjoying a nice trip. Can’t blame them, but if the event is to be taken seriously, athletes should be made to prove form. If not, take a chance on Dobbin etc and give them a run out to see how they go

I doubt Nelson or Onoura will make Doha quartets. Philip-DAS-Awuah-Henry is possibly our best sprint team, depending on what Lansiquot and Nieta do this year. 4x400m...Jodie Williams and DAS are probably right in the mix as things stand!

Men’s 4x400m - we need a couple of the 200m guys to commit to being on the team, as they’ve run great legs already this year...and the rest are not cutting it with the likes of the US, Jamaica, T&T etc
                        Agreed on all points, especially the men's 4x400m... they were dreadful. Not even Rooney could do anything with the poor first and second legs of Yousif and Cowan.

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
                          @jimbojames

Always pleased to acknowledge a fellow Nicola-phile (as I've said before her run at the 2007 European Athletics Indoor Championships is in my all time top ten UK athletics moments) ...

but coming back to the IAAF World relays... I have to say Desiree Henry looked strong on her leg, but that changeover with Nelson makes you wonder what they do with all that 'relay' funding ...still the lead up to the event has been great for all their social media...

I actually thought that NMB stepped onto his line when taking the baton from Gemilli, so hope they make some adjustments.

Anyika has been a great servant for British Athletics without ever being spectacular but I think her best is behind her, but I am shocked at how Agyapong has not kicked on from a couple of seasons ago... is she a reluctant 400m runner caught betwixt that and 200? We could have had a great women's 4x200, although I am not convinced that these 'gimmick' events should find a way into the Olympic programme...

I couldn't help but think that the men's 4x400 is more like a Dad's Army line up, is the depth of younger runners so shallow? We cant just rely on the rather precocious talents of MHS ...

I know it is very early in the season, but I hope Laviai Nielsen can find a little more as she strikes me as the only one of the runners in the 4x400 remotely able to make a World final...

finally, this forum, what has happened! I am really perturbed by the spam postings - I bet AW have a social media director/manager/assistant - can one of them not get rid of these interlopers as I am loosing the will to visit...

so say I and maybe a few others??

Comment

@jimbojames

i still feel, as i have always, that the relay funding is fatheaded, unnecessary and a waste of money! let us agree that our 400metre runners male and female are pretty ineffective right at this moment. i see no reason why so called "international" athletes should be unable to pass a stick at speed. I understand they have a bit of practice.!

Comment

@jimbojames

clearly with long relays possibly not bringing the usual medals this year and no Mo presence, i think that the pressure on Laura and DAS will b intense to achieve medals in the WC. Of course i accept that what we have seen in an early May competition will not be replicated in th start in October due to the month we are in, but it is going to be even tougher to assume the usaul 4 to 6 medals this year. Great win by Brazil who are right in their season and i bet they will not repeat in Doha.

Comment

[QUOTE=philipo;n2039]

clearly with long relays possibly not bringing the usual medals this year and no Mo presence, i think that the pressure on Laura and DAS will b intense to achieve medals in the WC. Of course i accept that what we have seen in an early May competition will not be replicated in th start in October due to the month we are in, but it is going to be even tougher to assume the usaul 4 to 6 medals this year. Great win by Brazil who are right in their season and i bet they will not repeat in Doha.[/QUOTEBy the way we know that NMB is NOT in form and he clearly lost it for GB

Comment

Working...
                                X